I joined the University of Nottingham as a Lecturer in January 2010 after completing both my PhD and post doctoral research the University of Liverpool. Since then I have undertaken fellowships at the University of Tokyo, Rolls-Royce and the High Value Catapults (AMRC/MTC). I have also served as a Deputy Warden at Nightingale Hall of Residence.
I currently have editorial roles with the Journal of Materials Processing Technology (subject editor), Precision Engineering (associate editor) and International Journal of Machine Tools and Manufacture (reviewing committee).
My research focuses on the use of non-traditional manufacturing methods to arrive at net shape while inducing favorable material properties and generating new surfaces on engineering components. I am particularly interested in developing new manufacturing methods and materials for use in the high value manufacturing sectors including aerospace and biomedical engineering. In these competitive markets product differentiation is often directly linked to additional functionality or performance. Through the development of new manufacturing technologies and materials we endeavor to deliver this.
I currently lead a team of 15 researchers and PhD students who are addressing a range of research challenges. Within the team we have several disciplines working together to address these complex challenges. Our activities stretch across fundamental research and more applied industrially funded activities. To date we have produced over 50 peer reviewed technical papers and presented our work at numerous international conferences.
I convene the year 3 Group Design and Make module within 5he Department of Mechanical, Materials and Manufacturing Engineering (M3). Follow the link below to see some of our students in action:
I am also part of the Advanced Manufacturing Research Group.
- Electrical Discharge Machining (EDM)
- Electron Beam Melting (EBM) - Processing of aerospace, tool and biomedical materials. Process modeling and understanding resulting material properties.
- Laser Processing of Materials
- Process monitoring and control
- Joining Technologies
- Electrolyte Jet Machining
- Additive Manufacturing Techniques - Laser, powder, wire and polymer based techniques.
I currently teach on several courses both at an undergraduate and postgraduate level;
- Group Design and Make (MM4GDM) - CONVENOR - All mechanical engineering undergraduates must complete MM4GDM which spans the duration of year 3. This module involves the application of a design process from "first customer interaction" through to delivery and compliance testing. As part of this module students, working in groups of four, must pass through gated reviews which are intended to simulate design in the industrial setting. In my role as module convenor I act as project consultant, reviewer and assessor. I am delighted to convene this module which allows the opportunity for extensive formative assessment and interaction with small groups while working on a diverse range of projects.
ADAM T. CLARE, ALISTAIR SPEIDEL, IVAN BISTEROV, ALEXANDER JACKSON-CRISP and JONATHON MITCHELL-SMITH, 2018. Precision Enhanced Electrochemical Jet Processing CIRP Annals. ALISTAIR SPEIDEL, RONG SU, JONATHON MITCHELL-SMITH, PAUL DRYBURGH, IVAN BISTEROV, DON M PIERIS, WENQI LI, RIKESH PATEL, MATT CLARK and ADAM THOMAS CLARE, 2018. Crystallographic texture can be rapidly determined by electrochemical surface analytics Acta Materialia.
BOURELL, D., KRUTH, J. P., LEU, M., LEVY, G., ROSEN, D., BEESE, A. M. and CLARE, A., 2017. Materials for additive manufacturing CIRP Annals. 66(2), 659-681
Current PhD Students
Mr Taiwo Abioye - Laser Deposition of Inconel 625 for Corrosive and Abrasive Resistant Applications [Complete]
Mr Johannes Dedenbach - Plasmatron Brazing of Automotive Structures
Mr Peter Farayibi - Laser Deposition of Ti6Al4V Metal Matrix Ceramic Composites [Complete]
Mr Matthias Hirsch - Online Quality Monitoring of Plasmatron Brazing
Mr James Murray - Material Modifications in Net Shape Processing Using EDM and EBM [Complete]
Mr Hatem Oun - Porous Metals for Aero Engine Sealing Applications
Mr Aaran Sumner - New methods for electrical machine manufacture (with CGT)
Mr Zhengkai Xu - Novel materials for Additive Manufacture
Mr Jonathan Mitchell Smith - Surface Texturing by Electrolyte Jet Machining
Mr Samir Algodi - Surface Modifications in Non-Conventional Processes