Dr Fangying Wang is an Assistant Professor in Structural Engineering in the Department of Civil Engineering at the University of Nottingham. She is engaged in teaching at both undergraduate and postgraduate levels, and is working in the Centre for Structural Engineering & Informatics Research Group.
She joined the university in July 2020. Prior to that, she was a postdoctoral research fellow at Nanyang Technological University. She obtained her BEng (Hons) in Civil Engineering from Tongji University in 2014. Afterwards, she was awarded the Hong Kong PhD Fellowship to pursue her PhD in Structural Engineering at the University of Hong Kong and obtained the degree in 2018. She was a visiting PhD student at Imperial College London from 2017 to 2018.
Memberships of committees and professional bodies:
- British Standard Institution (BSI) B/525/4- the UK input to CEN/TC 250/SC 4 Eurocode 1994 Design of composite steel and concrete structures and Eurocodes related documents.
- Co-Chair of Conference UKacm 2022 Annual Conference of the UK Association for Computational Mechanics 2022
Leader of organising committee - Regency Steel Asia Symposium 2019
Organising committee member - Ninth International Conference on Advances in Steel Structures 2018
Guest Associate Editor- Frontiers in Materials (Structural Materials)
Dr Fangying Wang's principal research interests lie in the areas of laboratory testing, numerical modelling and the assessment and development of design rules for high-performance steel and composite steel structures. In particular, her current research focuses on various domains of structural engineering including, but not limited to, local and global stability of stainless steel tubular structures, high strength steel open section structures, and concrete-filled steel tubular structures. She has been leading in research projects on sustainable constructions with green and recycled materials, and structural resilience of steel structures after fire hazards.
Full publication list: https://scholar.google.com.hk/citations?user=MN89KJIAAAAJ&hl=en
Civil & Structural Steel Design Project (Module Contributor CIVE 2041)
Advanced Structural Analysis (Module Convenor CIVE 4097)
1. Avery DAQ Upgrade for 5000kN hydraulic compressive testing machine (3,2022-9,2022), supported by Equipment Funding from Faculty of Engineering, 5577 GBP (Principle Investigator).
2. Structural performance of a novel compound concrete-stainless steel composite stub column incorporating high volume demolished concrete (10.2022-5.2023), supported by Undergraduate Research Grants from the Institution of Structural Engineers, 800 GBP (Principle Investigator).
3. Sustainable Asphalt Pavements With Recycled Concrete Aggregate And Waste Glass (11.2022-2.2023), supported by EPSRC, 35,252 GBP (Co-Investigator)
4. Machine learning-based fusion of experimental and synthetic data for reliable design of blind-bolted CFST connection. (11.2022-10.2023), supported by Royal Society under Kan Tong Po International Fellowship 2022, KTP\R1\221017, 3000 GBP (Principle Investigator).
5. High-performance Composite and Metallic Materials at Elevated Temperatures (HICOMET). (11.2022-7.2023), supported by FPVC Acceleration Fund 2022, 60,000 GBP (Principle Investigator).
1. Structural behavior and design of concrete-filled double skin stainless steel members. 9.2014-9.2018, supported by a grant from the University of Hong Kong under the seed funding program for basic research. (Main participant)
2. Structural performance of a novel concrete-steel composite system - recycled aggregate concrete-filled stainless steel tube, 12.2018-9.2020, supported by Academic Research Fund (AcRF) Tier 1 Grant (Project ID: 2018-T1-001-243) from the Ministry of Education, Singapore. 190k Singapore dollar=107k GBP (Main participant)