School of English

This page shows the staff for the University of Nottingham's School of English in the UK. Please see here for the School of Education and English in China and the School of English in Malaysia.

Image of Jessica Padilla-Sanchez

Jessica Padilla-Sanchez

Research Student,



Current Status PhD (full-time) - currently registered

Research Topic Flâneurs in love: Writing psychogeography into LGBTQ+ YA Historical Fiction

Research Summary This practice-based project examines how writing psychogeography into LGBTQ+ YA historical fiction can limit 'writerly-presentism': that is, "the imposition of a writer's modern values, beliefs, or awareness onto a past era" (Power, 2003). I posit that using an innovative technique to exclude the modern day queer experience from historical narratives will allow for subcategories within the genre of queer fiction to expand as widely as other major genres without risking misappropriation or distorted presentations of the past. A reflective analysis of my findings will make up approximately 30% of my thesis, while the remaining 70% will consist of an original novel (or extended extract if the final wordcount surpasses the project limit). This piece of long-form prose will be centred around two queer teens living in Paris during an alternative timeline where the Cold War erupts in late 1951.

Research Interests Psychogeography, Urban Geography, Creative Writing Practice, YA Fiction, Fanfiction

Research Supervisors Dr. Thomas Legendre Susan Billingham

Research Institutes, Centres and/or Research Clusters Memberships Associate Fellow (Postgraduate) at the Royal Geographical Society

Conference Papers & Presentations October 20-21, 2022 at Université de Caen Normandie - "Narrative ethics and character in the representation of the past in contemporary English-speaking fiction" Paper: The Future of LGBTQ+ YA Historical Fiction: An Exploration of Narrative Trends

August 29 - September 1, 2023 at The Royal Geographical Society - "Royal Geographical Society (with IBG) Annual International Conference 2023" Paper: (Re)Constructing Space in the Queer Young Adult Novel Using Psychogeography: Towards a New Interdisciplinary Research Method

Additional Information BA, Film and Electronic Arts (Specialization: Production Management) with a Minor in Geography - CSU, Long Beach & Queen Mary, University of London

MSc, Management (Specialization: International Corporate Strategy) - Imperial College London

MA, Creative Writing (Specialization: Fiction Prose) - Royal Holloway, University of London

School of English

Trent Building
The University of Nottingham
University Park, Nottingham NG7 2RD

telephone: +44 (0) 115 951 5900