English: learning, teaching, research
We have a first-rate, international reputation for outstanding teaching and research, as demonstrated by our School's current rankings:
We offer a unique combination of English disciplines, including literature from the Anglo-Saxon and medieval periods to the present day, English language from its origins to contemporary and applied contexts, drama and performance, and creative writing.
Professor Svenja Adolphs
Head of School
- Want to get into Publishing? Read this blog by English Language and Literature alumna, Elise Jackson to find out how she landed her dream publishing job.
- The School of English Upendo Bake-off sale raises...
- Students can diversify their degree course by choosing a language module for credits. At the Language Centre we focus on providing language modules with the emphasis on communication. The modules are supported by the virtual learning environment Moodle, digital classrooms and a Self Access Centre for independent learning.We offer 10 credit modules in Arabic, French, German, Italian, Korean, Japanese, Mandarin Chinese, Russian, Slovene and Spanish. The levels range from Stage 1a (complete beginners) to Stage 6 (near native speaker competence). It is possible to improve existing skills or start a new language.
- Funded research fellowships at world-leading international research institutions for early career researchers, doctoral-level research assistants and AHRC/ESRC funded doctoral students.
> See all news
- Come and join us at one of the biggest UG/MA conferences of the year!
- A student-led conference bringing together researchers from across the social sciences who contribute to our understanding of human psychology to share a variety of perspectives on psychology, both from within and outside the discipline
- A free one-day workshop reflecting on the ways in which different forms of digital, visual and textual representation can support health.
- Call for Papers now open! Deadline for submissions: 18th February 2019
> See all events
Back to top