English: learning, teaching, research
We have a first-rate, international reputation for outstanding teaching and research, as demonstrated by our School's current rankings:
We offer a unique combination of English disciplines, including literature from the Anglo-Saxon and medieval periods to the present day, English language from its origins to contemporary and applied contexts, drama and performance, and creative writing.
Professor Svenja Adolphs
Head of School
- The School of English Upendo Bake-off sale raises...
- Students can diversify their degree course by choosing a language module for credits. At the Language Centre we focus on providing language modules with the emphasis on communication. The modules are supported by the virtual learning environment Moodle, digital classrooms and a Self Access Centre for independent learning.We offer 10 credit modules in Arabic, French, German, Italian, Korean, Japanese, Mandarin Chinese, Russian, Slovene and Spanish. The levels range from Stage 1a (complete beginners) to Stage 6 (near native speaker competence). It is possible to improve existing skills or start a new language.
- Funded research fellowships at world-leading international research institutions for early career researchers, doctoral-level research assistants and AHRC/ESRC funded doctoral students.
- Abstracts invited for student-led event 'Bridging the gap between psychology and the social sciences'. Deadline 14 December.
- Training for academics to give a taste of how they can use the media to support their research.
> See all news
- Media training session for PhD Social Scientists
- A student-led conference bringing together researchers from across the social sciences who contribute to our understanding of human psychology to share a variety of perspectives on psychology, both from within and outside the discipline
> See all events
Back to top