Scholarships and funding opportunities to support students in accessing overseas work experience summer 2022
Supported by the Turing scheme, a UK Government programme to support students to study and work abroad, the Careers and Employability Service are able offer a number of ‘Turing Scholarships’ to current students to undertake a period of overseas work experience in Summer 2022.
Eligibility Criteria: The Turing Scholarships are exclusively for Home-Fee paying undergraduate students whose most recent school/college was a state school AND who are part of one or more of the priority groups listed below. This helps to ensure that students from backgrounds underrepresented in Higher Education can fully access the opportunities available to all students and to improve social mobility.
You must meet at least one of the following criteria:
- You are in receipt of a University of Nottingham Core Bursary or Nottingham Potential Bursary
- You have a declared disability or learning difference (if you have not declared this to the University you can email us at email@example.com)
- You are a mature student (age 21 or over at the start of your course)
- You have spent more than three months in local authority care (in this situation you do not need to have attended a state school)
- You are under 25 and estranged from your family
- You are a registered carer
- You have refugee status from the Home Office
- Your home address used on your UCAS application is in an area where people are less likely to go to University. This can be checked using the postcode checker available on the University website. The response ‘You may be eligible for a contextual offer’ confirms you have met this criteria
The Turing Scholarships offer eligible students the opportunity to apply for funding to undertake one of the below experiences:
- 15 Scholarships for students to undertake a 6 week Undergraduate Research Assistant experience with Operation Wallacea. 10 in Mexico and 5 in South Africa
- Approx. 60% of the overall total cost will be funded by the Scholarship
- 10 Scholarships for students to undertake a 4 week Volunteering Expedition experience with ThinkPacific in Fiji
- Approx. 75% of the overall total cost will be funded by the Scholarship
In both cases, successful students will be supported by the host/partner to ‘fundraise’ any additional costs that are not covered by the Turing Scholarship.
Next Steps: To find out more about the experience(s) and the process for applying please sign up to attend one of the following events:
- Operation Wallacea Webinar(s): Tuesday 26th October
- ThinkPacific Virtual Presentation: Thursday 18th November
If you have any questions about the scheme, your eligibility or how to apply to Operation Wallacea or ThinkPacific please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Scholarships are not guaranteed to all applicants - the process for both schemes is competitive. The situation may also change if any travel restrictions are in force linked to the ongoing Covid-19 Pandemic.
Posted on Wednesday 27th October 2021