Welcome to the School of Life Sciences
Our vision is to develop inspirational leaders of education, research and commercial innovation within a supportive and professional environment at the forefront of research in the Life Sciences for human and planet health.
Our research expertise and foundation, undergraduate and postgraduate courses span:
- biology (ecosystems, cellular and molecular)
- drug discovery and pharmacology
- sports science
This informs our teaching and is at the heart of everything we do. We aspire to generate knowledge and understanding, challenge convention and deliver positive change to the world and its people through delivering transformative team-based research in:
· Anatomy, Physiology and Nutrition
· Cellular and Developmental Biology
· Ecology and Evolutionary Biology
· Genetics and Genomics
· Infections, Immunology, Virology and Parasitology
· Microbiology, Molecular Biology, and Biochemistry
· Neuroscience and Neuropathology
· Pharmacology and Drug Discovery
· Synthetic Biology and Biotechnology
100% of UoA24 (Sport and Exercise Sciences, Leisure and Tourism) and 84% of the UoA5 (Biological Sciences) research submitted to REF2021 was judged to be ‘world-leading’ (4*), or ‘internationally excellent’ (3*).
Current Staff and Students Sharepoint
Athena SWAN awards champion good working practices to advance the representation of women in science, technology, engineering, medicine and mathematics. The school was awarded Athena SWAN Gold Status.
Equality and Diversity support in the School