Biography of William Monckton-Arundell, 2nd Viscount Galway (1725-1772)
- Robert Monckton (c.1659-1722)
- John Monckton, 1st Viscount Galway (1695-1751)
- Richard Arundell (1696-1758)
- William Monckton-Arundell, 2nd Viscount Galway (1725-1772)
- General Robert Monckton (1726-1782)
- Henry William Monckton-Arundell, 3rd Viscount Galway (1749-1774)
- Robert Monckton-Arundell, 4th Viscount Galway (1758-1810)
- William George Monckton-Arundell, later Monckton, 5th Viscount Galway (1782-1834)
- George Edward Arundell Monckton-Arundell, 6th Viscount Galway (1805-1876)
- George Edmund Milnes Monckton-Arundell, 7th Viscount Galway (1844-1931)
- George Vere Arundell Monckton-Arundell, 8th Viscount Galway (1882-1943)
- Simon George Robert Monckton-Arundell, 9th Viscount Galway (1929-1971)
William Monckton was the eldest son of John Monckton, 1st Viscount Galway, and succeeded his father in 1751.
He was appointed as Receiver-General of the Crown rents in Yorkshire, Westmorland and Durham in 1748.
He served as Whig M.P. for Pontefract in 1747-1748, Thirsk from 1749-1754, and Pontefract again from 1754-72 but was not a prominent parliamentarian, making no speeches in the House of Commons. He was Master of the Stag Hounds, 1765-70.
He inherited various estates under the will of his aunt Lady Frances Arundell (younger daughter of the 2nd Duke of Rutland, and wife of Richard Arundell), and in accordance with the provisions of her will, obtained a Royal licence to take the additional surname of Arundell in 1769.
In 1747 he married Elizabeth (1728-1792), daughter of Joseph da Costa Villa Real of Blyth and Edwinstowe (d 1730) and his wife Catherine Rachel ('Kitty') da Costa (1710-1747). Elizabeth's original Jewish name was Sarah da Costa Villa Real. She was baptised as Elizabeth in 1738, following her mother's 2nd marriage to William Mellish (1708-1791) of Blyth Hall, and their conversion to Christianity. William and Elizabeth had:
- John Monckton (d 1769)
- Henry William Monckton-Arundell (1749-1774), later 3rd Viscount Galway
- Robert Monckton-Arundell (1758-1810), later 4th Viscount Galway
- Elizabeth Monckton-Arundell (d 1835) m 1stly in 1774 Sir Francis Sykes, 1st Baronet, of Basildon; m 2ndly Sir Drummond Smith, 1st Baronet
- Frances Charlotte Monckton-Arundell (d 1825), m Anthony Burlton Bennett
- Title deeds, settlements, estate and legal papers relating to the 2nd Viscount's ownership of his estates are part of the Galway papers held in Manuscripts and Special Collections at the University of Nottingham
- There do not appear to be any published works about the 2nd Viscount Galway