Learn more about Smoking in Pregnancy research at the School of Medicine.
Our research activity has impact in three major areas:
- Translational research bridges key gaps between invention, evaluation and adoption, driving significant changes in medical practice and clinical guidelines.
- Our ambitious patient engagement programmes link researchers with patients and the public from early research stages identifying important questions to advanced stages of adoption of research findings.
- Our commercial collaborations are accelerating the pace of drug and treatment development. We are working with firms in the UK and internationally, creating successful spin-out companies and transforming intellectual property into valuable innovations.
Biomedical Research Centre (BRC)
Our partnership with Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust was recently awarded by the NIHR a transformational £23.6 million to to expand pioneering work into new treatments and diagnostics for a wide range of health problems, establishing a new Biomedical Research Centre (BRC). The BRC will incorporate two existing smaller Biomedical Research Units in the city.
The Nottingham BRC will be the leading UK hub in five key areas of health research:
- Deafness and hearing loss
- Gastrointestinal and liver disease
- Respiratory medicine
- Musculoskeletal disease
- Mental health technology
At the core of the Biomedical Research Centre will be Nottingham’s world-leading expertise in magnetic resonance imaging (MRI). It means the latest medical imaging research and technology pioneered here can be translated into real benefits for patients in all five of the BRC’s research areas.