Wirral & West Lancashire Viking Page – Events Archive
- January 26th, Liverpool, 10.30am-12.30pm: Lecture to Merseyside Young Archaeologists, Merseyside Maritime Museum, Albert Dock.
- March 12th, Hoylake, 12noon: Talk to the Inner Wheel Inter Club: "Wirral Viking Heritage", Kings Gap Hotel, Hoylake (ladies only!)
- April 18th, Birkenhead, 7.30pm: Lecture to the Birkenhead History Society "Wirral's Viking Past", Williamson Art Gallery, Slatey Road
- Wednesday May 1st, Thurstaston, daybreak at Thor's Stone: 1100th anniversary celebration with the Mersey Morris Men, the children of Thingwall Primary School (dressed as Vikings), the Mayor and Mayoress of Wirral and guests from Trondheim Kommune, Norway (the Deputy Mayor, the Director of Cultural Affairs and the Director of Olavfestdagene), the Mayor of Ellesmere Port and Neston and members of the Wirhalh Skip Fehlag (re-enactment group). Assemble 4.50am, yes am!! (but allow for a 10 minute walk from the car park, situated on the A540 heading northwards just past the Cottage Loaf pub on the right). Dancing starts 5am after the Viking horn call. Finish 6.00am approx. Sensible footwear recommended, and it might rain: don't forget Thor was the god of thunder! ... Postscript: the skies cleared just in time!
- June 11th, West Kirby, 8pm: Lecture to Hoylake and District Civic Society "Wirral's Viking Heritage", United Reform Church Hall, Meols Drive, West Kirby
- June 28th, Thingwall Primary School, 10am: Official unveiling of the 1100th anniversary mural by the Norwegian Consul for Liverpool
- Burning of Viking Ship, Saturday 20th July, 9.45pm, Anglesey. Part of Viking Festival, Amlwch, Anglesey, 20/21 July. The Mersey Vikings made an unsuccessful attempt to land in Anglesey in 902AD before coming to Wirral
- July 27th & 28th, Arrowe Park, 11am-5pm, 1100th anniversary Olsok Celebration Part I: Battle re-enactment and crafts display. Dignatories attending include the Mayoress of Wirral and her Consort. The Saturday event will be broadcast on Radio Merseyside (2-5pm).
- August 10th, Chester, 10.45am-4.30pm, 1100th anniversary Olsok Part II: Lectures at the Grosvenor Museum, Chester, followed by a service, St. Olave's Church Chester, led by Norway's St.Olave pilgrimsprest Kjell Skartseterhagen (Nidaros Cathedral, Trondheim). Dignatories attending include the Lord Mayor of Chester, the Mayoress of Wirral & her Consort, and the Mayor and Mayoress of Ellesmere Port and Neston.
- The Formby Summer Vikings Festival
- Sept 19th, Thornton Hough, 12.30pm: Lecture to Heswall & District Rotary Club: "Genetic search for Wirral Vikings", Grange Restaurant, Thornton Hough
- September 27th, Bromborough, 7pm. Lecture, Bromborough Society: "Wirral's Viking Past", Acre Lane School, Bromborough
- November 13th, Hurlston Hall Golf Club, Ormskirk, 7.30pm. Lecture "Blood of North West Vikings", West Lancashire Heritage Association
- December 10th, University of Nottingham. Inaugural Professoriate lecture "Macromolecular Interactions with Uppsala and Skaus Vikings", 6.30 for 7pm.
- December 11th, The Mayer Trust, Bebington Wirral. "Blood of Mersey Vikings", Civic Centre, Bebington, 8pm
- January 25th, Runcorn Priory, 1pm: Lecture to Merseyside Young Archaeologists
- Wednesday February 26th, Nottingham. Lecture: "Blood of Scouse Vikings", School of Archaeology, University of Nottingham, 4.30pm
- Wednesday March 12th, Nottingham. NAMES & GENETICS: AN INTERDISCIPLINARY WORKSHOP, Room C17, Pope Building, University of Nottingham, 2pm-5pm. Speakers include David Parsons, Paul Martin, Mark Jobling, Rob McMahon and George Redmonds.
- Thursday March 13th, Wallasey. "Blood of Wallasey Vikings", Lecture to Wallasey Historical Society
- Tuesday March 18th, 7.30pm, Lecture to Friends of Storeton Woods, Victoria Hall, Village Road, Higher Bebington.
- Thursday March 20th - Friday 9th May, Art Exhibition: Shadows - Speaking With Vikingsby Tone Nyarkoh.
- Saturday 26th April, 1st Icelandic tour of the Wirral and West Lancashire. A party of 45 Icelandic tourists is taken round some of the Viking sites, starting off with a presentation at Thurstaston Visitor centre (in a beautiful setting overlooking the Dee estuary, where the first Viking settlers arrived somewhere around 902AD).
- Wednesday 30th April, 7.30pm "Do Yow Talk Viking" (combined event with our Black Country friends, to be held in Wolverhampton and organized by Frank Challenger). Speakers include Dr Uszula Clark who is researching Black Country dialect, poet and writer Brian Dakin and Philip Solomon, journalist and well-know Black Country personality and Steve Harding who will talk about: "Up the A41 with Jason Koumas and Sir Gawain: North West Mercia and Scouse Vikings". There will be an art display on the subject by Tone Nyarkoh.
- Saturday 10th, Sunday 11th May, The Newark Show: East Midlands Viking link
- June 2nd-14th, Croxteth Country Park, 'Living History' fortnight: involves a Viking camp, longhouse and re-enactments.
- 14th June, Birkenhead. Authentic Viking Village at Grange Shopping Centre.
- 18th June. 2nd Icelandic tour of the Wirral and West Lancashire. A party of 45 Icelandic tourists is taken round some of the Viking sites, starting off with a presentation at Thurstaston Visitor centre (in a beautiful setting overlooking the Dee estuary, where the first Viking settlers arrived somewhere around 902AD).
- 28th June. 3rd Icelandic tour of 45 tourists.
- July 19th-20th, Arrowe Park, Wirral Viking Encampment, organized by the Wirhalh Skip-Felag. Includes crafts displays and battle re-enactment. This event will also form part of the 2003 Wirral-Chester Viking OLSOK (St. Olave's Viking Festival).
- November 19th 2003,Athenaeum Luncheon Lecture, "Viking Mersey", Athenaeum, Church Alley, Liverpool, Tel: 0151 709 7770.
- November 19th. Ormskirk Advertiser Series Lecture "Blood of West Lancashire Vikings", Hurlston Hall, 7.30pm. Results from the genetic survey of West Lancashire will be presented.
- December 11th. "Blood of Wirral Vikings", Neston Historical Society, 7.30pm. Results from the genetic survey of Wirral and West Lancashire will be presented.
- January 23rd, "Vikings in Lancashire" Formby Civic Centre, 8pm. Report from the Formby Civic Centre Site,
- Millwall versus TRANMERE, FA Cup Quarter Final, Sunday 7th March, Kick off 1pm (live on BBC One).
- TRANMERE versus Millwall, FA Cup Quarter Final Replay, TUESDAY March 16th, Kick off 7.45pm (live on SkySports).
- Saturday April 3rd, 10am-3pm. Battlefields Trust Event "Viking Wirral and the Battle of Brunanburh". Starts with cup of coffee and talk, followed by tour, led by Professor Steve Harding and Brenda Rampling of the Trust. Meet at Thurstaston Visitor Centre, off the A540, just north of Heswall, Wirral.
- Sunday April 4th, 1pm. Poulton Hall, Bromborough, Wirral. Unveiling of the Viking Sculpture "The Brunanburgh Viking" created by Wirral sculpturess Sue Sharples by Steve Harding. The work was commissioned by the Lancelyn-Green family, who date back on the Wirral to the 11th century. The unveiling marks the opening of the Gardens.
- Sunday July 4th, 2pm. Poulton Hall, Bromborough, Wirral. "Wirral Viking Book Event" (part of Poulton Hall Gardens Open Day): Wirral and its Viking Heritage, Ingimund's Saga, Viking Mersey, and Roger Lancelyn Green's Penguin Classic: Myths of the Norsemen. Visitors have also another chance to see Sue Sharples splendid sculpture "The Brunanburh Viking". Poulton Hall may mark the site of "Bruna's Burh or Fortress" which would have kept an eye on the Viking settlements in the North West sector of the Wirral across the "border" - the River Dibbin
- January 20th, "Merseysides Viking Heritage: DNA analysis in Archaeology" (Merseyside Archaeological Society). Liverpool University Department of Continuing Education, 7.30pm.
- TRANMERE versus Hull, SATURDAY March 5th, Kick off 3pm. Third plays Second in League 1 (only two teams get automatic promotion). Our wonderful township founded by the Norsemen in 902AD as Trani-melr needs the support of all Vikings if they are going to win this important game, and who knows, go onto promotion. This game is ALL-TICKET: for ticketing information telephone 0870 460 3332, or 0044-870-460-3332 if you are ringing from outside UK.
- March 14th, LR3 Rendall Building, University of Liverpool "A New Viking Age Find in Wirral: the Bidston Stone", Lecture by Prof. R. Bailey (Univ. Newcastle) at 5.30pm.
- April 2nd, Melrose Hall, Hoylake, Wirral, 10.30am (after AGM of Friends of Hoylake and Meols Gardens and Open Spaces). "Wirral's Viking Seaport and Norse Heritage".
- April 9th, Arts Lecture Theatre, University of Nottingham, Midlands Viking Symposium, organised by Dr. Christina Lee.
- April 30th, May1st and May2nd , Birkenhead Priory, 10.30-4.30. Viking Invasion! Bank holiday weekend event of what life in Viking Wirral is likely to have been like back in the 10th&11th Centuries, including Crafts, and weaponry displays.
- May17th, Radisson Hotel Liverpool. Evening of celebration of 100 years of Norway's independence by Liverpool's Norwegian community.
- June 6th-17th, Croxteth Country Park 'Meet the Vikings' fortnight: involves a Viking camp, longhouse and re-enactments. Special rates for School Parties. For more information, contact Chris Lines.
- July 30th and July 31st, Wirral Country Park. 11am-4pm. The Vikings are coming! Two days of activities with a Viking theme at "Thorsteinn's farmstead" - Thurstaston, including a longboat burning at Thurstaston beach (for ordnance survey anoraks, SJ 238835). Further enquiries contact the Wirral Rangers: 0151 648 4371/3884.
- Sunday August 14th, Ellesmere Port. Another longboat burning.
- Wednesday evening, October 12th, Thorsteinn's farmstead - Thurstaston. West Wirral Rotary Club Charter Anniversary Dinner: Viking Genes About!
- Wednesday evening, November 23rd, Wirral Museum, Birkenhead. "A New Viking Age Find in Wirral: the Bidston Stone". Lecture by Prof. R. Bailey (Univ. Newcastle) on the discovery of the mini-hogback tombstone at Bidston.
- Tuesday December 13th, University of Leicester. Inaugural Professoriate lecture "Beyond Sex: Human Evolution and the Weirdness of the Y Chromosome", Professor Mark Jobling, Professor of Genetics.
- February 26, York. Final day of the 12 day Jorvik Viking Festival. An event traditionally raided by The Wirhalh Skip Felag.
- Wednesday March 1st, University of Nottingham, Arts Centre Lecture Theatre, Lakeside Arts Centre, 6pm. Inaugural Professoriate lecture "The Nine Skills of Earl Rognavladr of Orkney", Professor Judith Jesch, Professor of Viking Studies.
- Saturday, 29th April, 3pm: Tranmere Rovers play Milton Keynes Dons (Away), Coca Cola League 1: Postscript (added 30th April): Tranmere avoids relegation with a 2-1 win.
- Saturday April 29th, - Monday May 1st. For those forces not going to support/defend Tranmere at Ragnarok: Thurstaston National show on the May Bank Holiday weekend, at Thorsteinn's farmstead (Thurstaston) and beautiful beach. Will include battles, living-history exhibit. There will be a ship burning on the Saturday evening (at approx. 7pm).
- Monday 7th August - Friday 11th August, Ellesmere Port Boat Museum: VIKINGS WEEK. Back by popular demand the Vikings from the Wirhalh Skip Felag are at the Boat Museum for a week of fun workshops.
- Saturday 12th - Sunday 13th August, Ellesmere Port Boat Museum: VIKINGS TENTED VILLAGE. The Vikings will be camping overnight in their tented village and will be offering activities and workshops during the day.
- Monday September 11th: Presentation of 1453/4 ancient Charter to "The Wro" (Old Norse "vra" - "corner") wine bar, West Kirby.
- Monday 2nd October 2006, 7.30pm, BBC North West: The Wirral Vikings! Programme about the Wirhalh Skip Felag: see TV Broadcasts on main page for download.
- Tuesday 10th October 2006 8.30pm gmt and repeated Wednesday 11th October 2006 1.30pm gmt and Saturday 14th October 9.30pm gmt. TV Broadcast on the History Channel (UK): LOST TREASURES: VIKINGS! (Wirral, Lancashire and the Isle of Man) Sky 561, NTL 404/138, Check King of Sat to find the appropriate Frequency, Polarisation, Symbol Rate and FEC settings (simply type in "The History Channel" in the search box): see TV Broadcasts above for download.
- Tuesday December 12th: "Vikings in Wirral" web resource for Schools and Adult Education is being officially launched by the Wirral Learning Grid with Mike McCartney (Wirral's Cultural Ambassador) at the Belmont Suite, Tranmere Rovers (7-9pm). The new hardback edition of Ingimund's Saga will also be launched.
- Tuesday 27th February, University of Chester History Society - Vikings in Wirral (7.30pm) Parkgate Road Campus, Lecture by Stephen Harding.
- Tuesday 13th March 2007 12.30pm and 7.30pm gmt, The History Channel (UK): LOST TREASURES: VIKINGS! Mark Olly and Stephen Harding go in search of Viking Treasures in Lancashire, Isle of Man and Wirral, Sunday 22nd April 2.30pm gmt, The History Channel (UK): LOST TREASURES: VIKINGS! Mark Olly and Stephen Harding go in search of Viking Treasures in Lancashire, Isle of Man and Wirral. Sky 561, NTL 504/138, Telewest 234. Astra 2D 28.2E, Astra 1D 23.5E, Arabsat 1D 26.0E, and Eutelsat W3A 7.0E. Check King of Sat to find the appropriate Frequency, Polarisation, Symbol Rate and FEC settings (simply type in "The History Channel" in the search box).Will be further repeated.
- Saturday 28th April, New Hall, University of Leicester (10am -5pm) Midland Vikings Symposium:On the trail of the Vikings: from snails to tales. A joint event of the Universities of Birmingham, Leicester and Nottingham. For more information, contact Dr Jayne Carroll, Department of English, University of Leicester, 0116 252 2199. Please Download Form. Speakers include Professor Mark Jobling, who will talk about Fishing in the gene pool for Vikings.
- Saturday July 28th. WIRRAL VIKING CHURCHES HERITAGE WALK between St. Bridgets West Kirby and St. Mary and St. Helens in Neston. 8 miles (12km). Please contact us if you wish to join us.
- Monday, 22nd October. North Wirral Rotary Club, Thurstaston: Vikings in Wirral.
- Tuesday 27th (Lancashire Day), David Lloyd Leisure Centre, Knowsley.Celebration of the publication of the final results of the 5-year Viking genetic survey of Wirral and West Lancashire. PRESS RELEASE 27th NOVEMBER.
- Thursday 29th November Sunday 2nd December. ICE2007: Celebrating Liverpool and Merseysides Cultural links with the Nordic Countries. ICE2007 has as part of its program a Film and documentary festival, Visual Art and Photography, Architecture, Theatre, Food and Music is to build partnerships between various Arts and Cultural organisations and individuals. There will also be two short story competitions being organised for schools, one for 12 years and younger the other for 12-16. The judges will be Mike McCartney and Icelandic Book-Prize winner Andri-Snaer Magnason and the winners with parents will be taken to Iceland courtesy of Icelandair.
- Tuesday 18th and Wednesday 19th December, Vikings in the 21st Century, University of Birmingham.
- Tuesday 5th February 2008, St. Bridgets Community Centre, West Kirby, 7.30pm. First Tuesday St. Bridgets Centre Appeal Lecture: Using Modern Genetics with Old Surnames to Excavate Wirrals Viking Past. A lecture by Stephen Harding on the the Wirral and West Lancashire Viking DNA Project 2002-2007. Tickets on the door or from Pipe Dreams in Banks Road. Proceeds go to the St Bridgets Community Centre Appeal.Tilskuere: 259.
- Wednesday April 23rd, National Science Building (Askja), University of Iceland, Reykjavik. Seminar by Prof. Stephen Harding 4pm: FISHING FOR ICELANDIC GENES IN OLD LIVERPOOL: The Saga of Norwegian Settlers in Merseyside around 900 AD.
- Saturday April 26th, 10.00am - Midlands Viking Symposium, University of Nottingham, Lakeside Arts Centre 10-5. Viking Ways: Bones to Berserks.
- Wednesday 4th June. AGM Talk, ITPAS (Irby, Thurstaston and Pensby Amenity Society), St. Chads Church, Irby 7.15pm. A Viking Heritage Trail for Wirral - a lecture by Steve Harding. Tilskuere: 85.
- Saturday July 12th 3.00pm, Tranmere Rovers play Liverpool at the Tranmere Stadium (Prenton Park): pre-season Friendly. For details about Tranmere the only football team in England with a Norwegian Viking name - see links below for directions etc. Please see the fixture list of games here. Most games are pay on arrival and are very reasonably priced, particularly for families. All-ticket games will be announced here. Scandinavian supporters coming from Oslo Torp to Liverpool John Lennon please see the link to Ryan air. (Flights leave Torp, 21.50 weekdays arrive 22.45, return leaves 14.30, arrives Torp 22.45. Sunday flight leaves Torp 22.15, arrives 23.10; return leaves 14.55, arrives Torp 17.45).Norwegian Airlines also run flights from Bergen to Manchester. THIS MATCH IS ALSO BEING SCREENED LIVE ON SENTANTA SPORTS. Tilskuere: 15000.
- Sunday July 20th: ITV1 Granada, 6.00pm. LOST TREASURES: NEW BLOOD OF VIKINGS.King of Sat gives the following Satellite details for the appropriate Frequency, Polarisation, Symbol Rate and FEC settings: Astra 2D 28.2E. 10758.00V. 22000 5/6.
- Saturday July 26th 2008. OLSOK08: WIRRAL CHESTER VIKING PILGRIMAGE. This years Olsok Pilgrimage/ Viking Churches Heritage Walk to commemorate St. Olav Haraldsson, patron saint of Norway and St. Olavs Day will go from St. Mary and St. Helens in Neston (Nesstn) to St. Olaves in Chester (13 miles or 20km), starting at 9am.
- Sunday August 3rd: ITV1 Granada, 5.30pm. LOST TREASURES: ONGLES EYJAR (ANGLESEY).King of Sat gives the following Satellite details for the appropriate Frequency, Polarisation, Symbol Rate and FEC settings: Astra 2D 28.2E. 10758.00V.22000 5/6.
- Sunday August 31st: ITV1 Granada, 6.00pm. FREDS FAMILY WALKS: Episode 3. Fred Takes us for a walk through Little Scandinavia. ITV Weatherman Fred Talbot explores parts of Viking Wirral with Steve Harding.King of Sat gives the following Satellite details for the appropriate Frequency, Polarisation, Symbol Rate and FEC settings: Astra 2D 28.2E. 10758.00V. 22000 5/6.
- Monday September 15th, 6pm: The History Channel (UK): LOST TREASURES: VIKINGS. Mark Olly and Steve Harding go in search of Viking Treasures in Lancashire, Isle of Man and Wirral: Sky 561, NTL 504/138, Telewest 234. Astra 2D 28.2E, Astra 1D 23.5E, Arabsat 1D 26.0E, and Eutelsat W3A 7.0E. Check King of Sat to find the appropriate Frequency, Polarisation, Symbol Rate and FEC settings (simply type in "The History Channel" in the search box). Locate TV. Repeated 7pm on History +1 Channel and on the History Channel Tuesday 16th September 2am (3am History +1), 7am (8am) and finally 1pm (2pm). Part 1 (11min) before the break and Part 2 (11min) after the break.
- Thursday 16th October, Merseyside Archaeological Society. Talk by Dr. Roger White on the Neston cross fragments.
- Wednesday 12th November 2008, Family History Society of Cheshire West Kirby Group, 2pm, Westbourne Hall Community Centre, West Kirby. Scandinavian Wirral: The Wirral and West Lancashire Viking DNA Project 2002-2007 a lecture by Stephen Harding. Admission: 1.
- Saturday, 22nd November 2008. Vikings in the North West: Maritime Museum, Liverpool. Archaeology meeting to celebrate the discovery of the Huxley Hoard found near Chester four years previous.
- NICE08/LiNC DNA events (25th/26th November):
- Tuesday, 25th November 2008. NICE08 Schools DNA Workshops (Bishop Wilson School, Neston at 11am; Lady Immaculate School, Everton Valley at 2pm)
- Tuesday, 25th November 2008. LiNC Talk: DNA and the Vikings of Old Merseyside. Speaker: Stephen Harding. Venue: Scandinavian Church, 138 Park Lane Liverpool, L1 8HG, 7.45pm.
- Wednesday 26th November 2008 11am-1pm. Scandinavian Consuls Viking DNA Challenge. The Scandinavian Consuls in Liverpool (Norwegian, Danish, Icelandic and Swedish) are all from the UK but whose (Y-chromosomal) DNA is the most Viking? Peter Copland, Norwegian consul, challenges his colleague.
- Wednesday 26th November 2008 2pm-5pm.How much of a Viking are you?: DNA testing event for members of the Public. Venue: Scandinavian Church, Park Lane, Liverpool. This was covered by ITV1 Granada Reports, 26th November 2008 (3 min): Andy Bonner reports on the Scandinavian Consuls DNA challenge as part of the Nordic Festival on Merseyside (20-30th November) and has his own Y-DNA tested.
- Saturday 3rd January 8pm (GMT), BBC2. Neil Oliver gave the Scottish perspective on the Battle of Brunanburh - and emphasized its importance for the UK.The Last of the Free: At the dawn of the first millennia there was no Scotland or England. In the first episode of this landmark series, Neil Oliver revealed the mystery of how the Gaelic Scottish Kingdom - Alba - was born, and why its role in one of the greatest battles ever fought on British soil defined the shape of Britain into the modern era. Repeat of broadcast on BBC1 Scotland in November 2008.
- Wednesday 21st January 2009, Ormskirk. The Ruth Hurst Vose Memorial Lecture of the West Lancashire Heritage Association was given to around 70 members and friends on 21st January by Judith Jesch, Professor of Viking Studies at Nottingham University.
- Wednesday 4th February 2009. Steve Harding gave a presentation at the Grosvenor Museum Chester (hosted by the Chester Archaeological Society) at 7.30pm: Fishing for Vikings in the gene pool of old Merseyside
- Saturday 7 February 2009. Prof. Mark Jobling spoke at the Archaeology Festival, Cardiff. Magic bullet or blank? What genetics can and cant tell us about the past.
- Tuesday 17th March 2009. North Wirral Probus Club, Kings Gap Hoylake (Probus members only). Talk about the Viking Heritage Trail in Wirral.
- Sunday 21st March 2009, History Channel UK, 5.30pm: Lost Treasures: Vikings Mark and Steve go in search of Viking treasure in North Lancs, Isle of Man and Wirral.
- Monday 22nd March 2009, History Channel UK, 4.30am: Lost Treasures: Vikings Mark and Steve go in search of Viking treasure in North Lancs, Isle of Man and Wirral.
- Monday October 12th, Wallasey Central Library, 2.30-4pm.Wirral Bookfest Talk: Viking Wirral and Viking Genes. Free admission.For details telephone 0151 639 2334.
- Saturday October 24th, Lytham St. Annes: Council for British Archaeology North-West Regional Group Conference. Speakers include Andrew Breeze, Nick Higham, Steve Harding, Rob Philpott, Peter Carrington and Mike Nevel.
- Monday December 28th: Tranmere Rovers the only football team in England with a Norwegian Viking name (Trani-melr meaning cranes or herons at a sandbank) play Carlisle United, The Cumbrians at the Tranmere Stadium, Prenton Park, kick off 3pm (English League One).
- Monday March 1st 2010 6pm. University of Nottingham Institute for Medieval Research Lecture by Michael Wood. Saxons Vikings and Celts: The Reign of Athelstan (925-39) and the Creation of England. An illustrated talk about kingship, learning and warfare in the Viking Age. Room B63, Law and Social Sciences Building, University Park, Nottingham. No ticket required, all welcome.
- Saturday May 1st May Day 2010: Tranmere Rovers the only football team in England with a Norwegian Viking name (Trani-melr meaning cranes or herons at a sandbank) play Milwall, The Lions, at the Tranmere Stadium, Prenton Park, kick off 3pm (English League 1). See links below for directions etc.No advance ticket required - pay at the ground.
- UNVEILING OF THE MEOLS PARK VIKING INFORMATION BOARD by new Wirral West MP Esther McVey. Saturday 15th May, 2010, Meols Park 11.30am.
- Part of St. John the Baptist church and Meols Park Return of the Vikings event, 10.30 4pm.
- Saturday July 17th 2010: Archaeological Festival Day, Tam OShanter Farm, Bidston, Wirral.
- Saturday July 31st 2010: St. OLAVEs WIRRAL CHESTER VIKING WALK AND PILGRIMAGE. 13 mile walk/pilgrimage to commemorate St. Olav Haraldsson, patron saint of Norway and St. Olavs Day will go from Neston, Wirral to St. Olaves in Chester.
- September 2010 January 2011. Chester Viking Festival and Exhibition.
- November 2010 - Launch of the book VIKING DNA. The Wirral and West Lancashire Project by S. Harding, M. Jobling and T. King (Countyvise, Wirral, with Foreword by Michael Wood). Another book Vikingblod by S. Harding and S. Vaagan (Hermon Press, Oslo) is due to follow in November 2011.
- 18th November 2nd December 2010. NICE2010 (Nordic Cultural Events Festival in North-west England): organizer Ingi-Thor Jonsson
- Saturday 20th November 2010. Chester Viking Conference: "In Search of the Vikings", Grosvenor Museum, Chester: organizers Elizabeth Royles and Steve Harding.
- Monday 28th February 14th March 2011 (for 2 weeks). From Iceland to Viking Wirral Exhibition of Paintings by West Kirbys Sylvia Hikins, at the Scandinavian Church, Park Lane, Liverpool.
- BBC Radio Merseyside - Roger Phillips and Steve Harding have a general chat about Vikings on Merseyside: Part 1 Sunday 29th May, 5 - 5.30pm; Part 2 Wednesday 1st June 2011, 9 - 9.30pm.
- Friday 29th July 2011 (St Olavs Day). St. OLAVEs WIRRAL CHESTER VIKING WALK AND PILGRIMAGE.13 mile walk/pilgrimage to commemorate St. Olav Haraldsson, patron saint of Norway and St. Olavs Day will go from Neston, Wirral to St. Olaves in Chester.
- Tuesday 11th October 2011. Wirral Bookfest event, Birkenhead Central Library: Viking Wirral and the Dragon Harald Fairhair Longship project, 2pm.
- Friday evening 18th November 2011, BBC Radio Merseyside. Steve tries to persuade RMs Roger Phillips to become a Tranmere fan as part of BBCs Children in Need, live on air, Radio Merseyside.
- 2nd December 2011. Release of Vikingblod - spor av vikinger i Nordvest-England by S. Harding and S. Vaagan (Hermon Press, Oslo).
- Monday 9th January, Liverpool Victoria Boat Club, Wallasey Docks, Wirral. Viking Wirral and the Draken Harald Fairhair Longship project, 2.30pm. To be attended by the Mayor of Wirral.
- Wednesday 1st February 2012. Viking Wirral and the Battle of Brunanburh. St. Bridgets Church West Kirby, 7.30pm. Raising money for the St. Bridgets Community Centre appeal. Tickets 5 (Children 2.50). Postscript a full church with ~250 people raised 1329 for the Appeal.
- Wednesday 29th February 2012. Viking Irby. Irby Library 7pm.
- Saturday 3rd March 2012. Opening of Wirral History & Heritage Fair, Birkenhead Town Hall. Wirral Globe; Wirral News.
- Friday 20th April 2012. Viking DNA in Lancashire. Lancashire Archaeological Society, Fulwood United Reformed Church, Symonds Road, Fulwood, Preston, 7.45pm.
- Sunday 22nd April 2012. Ormr, Skjaldmarr, Tharaldr & co!. St. Georges Day Lunch speech, West Lancashire Heritage Association, Hurlston Hall Golf Club, Scarisbrick, 12.30.
- Saturday 5th May 2012. Tranmere Rovers the only football team in England with a Norwegian Viking name - play Scunthorpe United, kick off 3pm (English League 1).
- Tuesday 15th May 2012. The Valley of the Raven: Viking Barnston! Barnston Conservation Society. Barnston Primary School, Sandham Grove, Barnston, 7.30pm.
- Thursday 17th May 2012. Celebration of Norways National Day, Liverpool (organized by the Scandinavian Church, Liverpool).
- Saturday 19th May 2012. Norwegian Constitutional Day talk, Wallasey Central Library, 3pm The Vikings and the history they hold on the Wirral.
- BBC2, Friday 1st June 2012. 9-10pm. The Great British Story. Part 2: The Vikings. Presented by Michael Wood: watch on iplayer (60mins, UK only)
- Wednesday 6th June 2012. Launch of Vikingblod, Gravdahl Bookshop, Hamar, 6pm.
- Friday 15th June 2012. 10.30am. Official unveiling of the Thingwall signposts by Esther McVey MP. Broadcast on ITV1 GranadaReports, Friday 15th June 2012, 8pm.
- Monday 18th June 2012. Viking Wirral and the Dragon Harald Fairhair Longship project, 7.30pm, Greasby Library, Wirral.
- Sunday 29th July (St. Olavs Day) St. OLAVEs VIKING HERITAGE WALK AND PILGRIMAGE. 8 mile walk/pilgrimage to commemorate St. Olav Haraldsson, patron saint of Norway. St. Bridgets, West Kirby to St. Mary & St. Helen Neston (meet 11.30 outside St. Bridgets for 12 noon start).
- Tuesday 31st July 2012. Tranmere Rovers the only football team in England with a Norwegian Viking name - play Everton, 7.30pm (Liverpool Senior Cup Final)
- Tuesday 18th September 2012. Start of a new Course on Viking Wirral. The Workers' Educational Association (WEA) are offering a course entitled 'Viking Wirral' with course tutor Heather Butler, commencing Tuesday 18th September 2012 between 7pm & 9pm at St. Bridget's Centre, West Kirby, Wirral. For further details please contact the WEA on 0151 243 5340 or simply attend the first session.
- Thursday 11th October 2012. Wirral Bookfest event, Bebington Library: Arni, Ketil, Toki, Sigridr, Gunnhild, Ingrid & co: The men and women of Viking Wirral.
- Saturday 24th November 2012. Christmas Bazaar, Scandinavian Church, Park Lane, Liverpool, 10am (opened this year by BBC Radio Merseysides Roger Phillips).
- Friday 7th December 2012. St. Martin-in-the-Fields, Trafalgar Square, London. Norwegian Christmas Concert (The Thing Helseth Quintet), 7.30pm.
- Wednesday 12th December 2012. Hoylake Historical Society (Westbourne Hall, West Kirby, 7.45pm) Viking Wirral and the Draken Harald Harfagre Longship.
- Tuesday 18th December 2012. Rendell Building, Lecture Theatre 7, University of Liverpool 9am-5.20pm. Theoretical Archaeology Group Meeting Identities Lost and Found: Interdisciplinary approaches to identity in the Viking Diaspora. Talks by Judith Jesch, Oliver Harris, Howard Williams, Clive Tolley, Turi King, Steve Harding, Elise Naumann, Jennifer Jones & colleagues and James Barratt.
- Trondheim, March 2013
- Sunday March 10th 2013. Trondheim Vikinglag Symposium, suhmhuset vitenskapsmuseet.
- Tuesday March 12th Wednesday March 13th, 2013. Viking Worlds (Archaeological Conference). Institute for Archaeology, Conservation and History, Archaeological Conference, Neils Henrik Abels vei, Oslo.
- Wednesday March 27th 2013. Viking Irby, Thurstaston & Pensby (ITPAS Irby, Thurstaston & Pensby Amenities Society Spring Lecture). Irby Village Hall, 7pm for 7.30pm. Members free, Non-members £5.
- Thursday 6th June Sunday 9th June 2013. Wirrals 100-strong Viking Navy visits Haugesund, Norway to join the Karmoy Viking Festival and row on the Draken Harald the Fairhair Longship
- Monday 29th July (St. Olavs Day) 2013. St. OLAVEs VIKING HERITAGE WALK AND PILGRIMAGE. 9 mile walk/pilgrimage to commemorate St. Olav Haraldsson, patron saint of Norway. National Waterway Museum, Ellesmere Port to St. Olaves in Chester
- Friday 15th November 2013. Heswall Society 60th Anniversary Talk: Viking Heswall and Gayton. Host: Dennis Clegg.
- Monday 25th November 2013. Lecture to Chester Society for Landscape History Whats in a name? Place names, Surnames and the Viking settlements of Wirral, Grosvenor Museum, Chester. Host: Mike Headon.
- New Years Eve (Tuesday 31 Dec 2013) 3pm -3.30pm, BBC Radio 4 (Making History - New Series 1/5).
- Yorkshire or Wirral? BBC Historian Michael Wood and Scientist Professor Steve Harding at Bromborough - lock horns over one of the hottest historical topics of the moment - the location of the Great War of 937AD - the Battle of Brunanburh
- Saturday January 11th 2014. Viking evening, Holiday Inn, Hoylake. With Esther McVey and Steve Harding. Details Roy Shuttleworth.
- 18th July - 3rd August. VISIT OF DRAKEN HARALD HARFAGRE NORSE LONGSHIP TO WEST FLOAT WALLASEY. Details and a Programme of Events can be found on the Liverpool Victoria Rowing Clubs website.
- 2014 ST. OLAVES VIKING HERITAGE WALK AND PILGRIMAGE.
- Part 1: Monday July 28th St. Bridgets Church West Kirby to St. Mary & St. Helen, Neston (9 miles).
- Part 2: Tuesday July 29th (St. Olavs Day). National Waterways Museum Ellesmere Port to St. Olaves Chester (9 miles).
- Come and enjoy some wonderful scenery as we link 3 Churches with strong Viking links and some fantastic archaeology!
- Friday 10th October, Wirral Bookfest, Wallasey Central Library 2.30pm: Viking Wirral and the Saga of the Draken Harald Harfagre Longship, 2.30pm
- Thursday 4th December, Wirral Ramblers talk: Viking Wirral and the Saga of the Draken Harald Harfagre Longship, 17 Shrewsbury Road, Oxton, 7.45-9.15.
- Friday 27th February 2015. Unveiling of the new Thingwall Viking Board, Basset Hound, Thingwall at 11am.
- Book Launch IN SEARCH OF VIKINGS - MAY 9th 2015, Grosvenor Museum, Chester. 27 Grosvenor Street, Chester, CH1 2DD UK. 01244 972197 shortly after a lecture at 2.30 to the Chester Archaeological Society by Dr. David Griffiths. (If you wish to attend the lecture beforehand, please see: http://www.chesterarchaeolsoc.org.uk/lectures.html - there is a nominal fee). There is a re-enactment display planned by the Wirhalh Skip Felag
- St. Olaves Viking Heritage Walk and Pilgrimage: Part 1 Sunday 26th July and Part 2 Wednesday 29th July (St. Olavs Day) 2015
- Science and the Vikings - (University of Nottingham, Knowledge Transfer Lecture, December 18th 2015)
- Wednesday 16th March 2016: Vikings in Lancashire (Langham Hall, Ormskirk, 7pm). An evening with Prof. Steve Harding, Dr. David Griffiths and Prof. Judith Jesch, hosted by the West Lancashire Heritage Association. Listen to Preview on Radio Lancashire: Part1 and Part 2
- Saturday 23rd April 2016: Midland Viking Symposium, Highfield House University of Nottingham, 10am 16.30pm
- Friday 8th July. Tranmere Rovers vs Liverpool, 19.00. Jorgen Klopp brought his first team to the Tranmere Stadium with what was a fantastic event, watched by 13500!:
- ST OLAVS WIRRAL-CHESTER VIKING WALK. Friday 29th July St. Olavs day. National Waterways Museum, Whitby (Ellesmere Port) to St. Olaves Chester: contact email@example.com
- Thursday 1st September 2016. The 2016 HAKON HAKONSSON LECTURE: Science and the Vikings Steve Harding (Largs Viking Festival).
- King Cnut Anniversary Event, 16th October, Liverpool University (Re-enactments by Viking Chester).1000th anniversary of the accession to the throne in 1016 by Englands Viking King.
- St. Olaves Viking Heritage Walk and Pilgrimage: Part 1 Tuesday 25th July and Part 2 Saturday 29th July (St. Olavs Day) 2017
- Wednesday 17th January 2018. Hoylake Historical Society “Two Old Boats: their discovery and restoration”. Westbourne Hall, 7.30pm.
- March 31st – July 7th 2018. Vikings: Rediscover the Legend. Atkinson, Southport. 3 month Viking Exhibition, including exhibits from West Lancashire.
- Saturday 12th May 2018. Tranmere, Wirral’s football team with a Norwegian Viking name, win the National League Play-Offs to return to the English Football League
- Tuesday 23rd May 2018 1pm. “Viking DNA of Wirral and West Lancashire”. A fresh view on the successful Survey that took place between 2002 and 2010 based on men from old Wirral and West Lancashire families, and what it means today, particularly in the light of the Archaeological finds. The Atkinson, Southport.
- Thursday 21st June, 7pm. “The Viking Settlement of the Sefton Coast” – talk by Paul Sherman, including the latest Archaeological finds. The Atkinson, Southport.
- Monday 2nd July 2018 6.30pm “The Legends and Sagas of the Trolls of Scandinavia”. Wirral Libraries “Summer Trolls Season”. Bebington Central Library 6.30pm.
- Tuesday 10th July 2018. Tranmere Rovers versus Liverpool. Annual pre-season friendly at Prenton Park where Jurgen Klopp brings his 1st team. Now Tranmere are a Football League team again! 13500 attended last year, covered live on LFC TV.
- Sunday 29th July 2018. St. Olav’s Viking Heritage Walk.
- Saturday, May 25th 2019. Tranmere promoted by winning Wembley play-offs again!
- Tranmere, the only team in the English Football League with a Norse Viking name have won at Wembley again: successive back-to-back promotions
- Connor Jennings goal, 119th minute – Wembley May 2019 (from SkySports & Clayo) James Norwood's goal, 79th minute - Wembley May 2018 (from BT Sports) We’re on our way! – fantastic scenes leaving Wembley
- St. Olav’s Day Viking Walk (29 July 2019) - excerpt from Michael Wood’s The Great British Story, broadcast on BBC2, 2012
- Upton Village Viking Festival (15-18 August 2019), & official launch of Wirral’s Viking Trail
- People Power! - Wallasey Central Library Friday 20th September 2019
- Local Viking Associations of Wirral with Norway. Prenton Literary & Debating Society, Prenton Bowling Club, Prenton Road West, Tuesday 28th January 7.30pm
- The Vikings in Wirral, Backford and Mollington Historical Society, Village Hall, Wednesday March 4th 7.30pm
Return to Wirral & West Lancashire Viking Page