Postgraduate study

Two postgraduate students in conversation

Funding for postgraduates

Funding search

The university offers a range of scholarships. Use our search tool to find out what funding opportunities are available to you.

Find funding

We provide lots of funding advice specifically for international students. You can also contact your country representative for information on funding your course.


Taught courses

  1. If you're a home/UK student, you may be eligible for a masters loan of up to £12,167
  2. We also offer a range of masters scholarships for international students
  3. Check whether you are eligible for a scholarship from an external provider

Research opportunities

  1. If you're a student from England or Wales, you may be eligible for a doctoral loan of up to £28,673
  2. The government's masters loan is also available if you want to study a research masters (MRes)
  3. Doctoral training programmes offer full funding of UK tuition fees along with a monthly living allowance for UK and international students
  4. Explore individual studentships, which usually cover tuition fees and contribute towards your living costs

Alumni Scholarships

Some of our academic schools offer funding specifically for current students/graduates who want to continue their studies with us on a masters course. Find out more:


The Alternative Guide Online

The Alternative Guide Online is available to help students from any subject or nationality source funding for masters, PGCE and PhD study in the UK through grants from charities, trusts and foundations. Please enter your email address and we'll send you the login details. 


Earn money while you study

Working part-time while studying can help you fund your course. There are lots of ways to find work:

  • The Researcher Academy offers postgraduate placements to fit around your studies
  • Unitemps is the university's in-house recruitment agency, which offers a range of temporary work assignments for students
  • You can get paid to teach alongside your PhD – check with your school or department to find out more

Student Recruitment Support Hub

+44 (0) 115 951 5559
Make an enquiry