Professor Torremans taught at the Universities of Leicester and Leeds, before joining the University of Nottingham in September 2002. He also served as a Sub-Dean for Graduate Studies at the Faculty of Law of the University of Leicester. His areas of expertise are Intellectual Property Law and Private International Law. In relation to the latter area Professor Torremans was also a member of the Department of Private International Law of the Faculty of Law of the University of Ghent, Belgium until 30th September 2008. Professor Torremans is a member of the Association Littéraire et Artistique International (ALAI) and of its British branch BLACA, where he sits on the Executive Committee. He is also a member of the Association for the Enhancement of Teaching and Research in Intellectual Property - ATRIP (the worldwide association of teachers and researchers in intellectual property).
Professor Torremans has acted as an expert for the World Intellectual Property Organisation, the European Commission (most recently on 21st April for the European Group on Ethics in science and new technologies in relation to synthetic biology patents) and other international organisations.
He is also a member of CLIP, an international group of experts developing a set of principles on the interaction between intellectual property and private international law. The most recent draft of their proposals can be found at www.cl-ip.eu .
Private International Law
Cross-border enforcement of intellectual property rights
Private International Law aspects of intellectual property arbitration
Private International Law aspects of IP protected goods in transit
I am looking forward to supervising any student in the areas of intellectual property and private international law. This covers any aspect of intellectual property, including its economic, development and international aspects. For private international law my preference goes to the interaction between intellectual property and private international law.
Current Research Students
Recent PhD Students
- Favale, Marcella: Access to Copyright Works: Fine-tuning DRM to Balance Between the Rights of Owners and Users
- Ismail, Suzi: Patent Protection of Agricultural Biotechnological Inventions - Towards Achieving Global Harmonization
- Papiri, Foteini: Cross-border Intellectual Property Disputes Arising Online: Towards a New Dispute Resolution Model?
- Park, Jae Hun: Patents and Industry Standards
- Park, Jae Il: Non-Producing Entities (NPEs) and an Injunctive Reliefs in Patent Infringement Lawsuits (co-supervised with Professor Estelle Derclaye)
- Yang, Fanshu: Infringement of Intellectual Property Rights over the Internet and Private International Law (MPhil), (co-supervised with Professor James Fawcett)
CLIP - Principles on conflict of laws in intellectual property
Embryonic stem cell patents: European law and Ethics
A parody exception for copyright - the concept of parody and its role in copyright