logo
Manuscripts and Special Collections
   
   
  

Biography of William Pierrepont, 4th Earl of Kingston-upon-Hull (c.1662-1690)

William was the second son of Robert Pierrepont of Thoresby, Nottinghamshire, and his wife Elizabeth Evelyn. He was born at West Dean, Wiltshire (an estate brought to the Pierrepont family by the marriage of Robert Pierrepont with Elizabeth Evelyn), and entered Trinity College, Oxford, in 1681.

He succeeded his brother as Earl of Kingston in 1682. In 1683 he purchased land in the hays of Bilhagh in Sherwood Forest, and further land in Perlethorpe from the Crown in order to form Thoresby Park.

In 1689 and 1690 he acted as Colonel of a Regiment of Foot, Lord Lieutenant of Nottinghamshire and the East Riding of Yorkshire, Chief Justice in Eyre North of the Trent, and High Steward of Kingston-upon-Hull.

However, in September 1690 he died of apoplexy at Holme Pierrepont. He was succeeded as 5th Earl by his brother Evelyn Pierrepont.

Family

He married Anne, daughter of Robert Greville, 4th Baron Brooke, in 1685. There were no children.

His widow later married William Pierrepont of Nottingham, and died in 1702.

Archive Collections

  • Title deeds and estate papers relating to the Earl's ownership of his estates are held at The British Library (Egerton Charters 2301-8836; Egerton MSS 3516-3660)

Published Sources

  • There are no notable published works concerning the 4th Earl
 

Manuscripts and Special Collections

Kings Meadow Campus
Lenton Lane
Nottingham, NG7 2NR

telephone: +44 (0) 115 951 4565
fax: +44 (0) 115 846 8651
email: mss-library@nottingham.ac.uk