Manuscripts and Special Collections
   
   
  

Timeline

This timeline is an overview of events related to hospitals and health in Nottingham.

Date Event
1778 John Key died and bequeathed £500 for a county hospital or infirmary
1780 The Duke of Newcastle and Nottingham Corporation donated land for the hospital and public subscriptions were solicited
1782 Nottingham General Hospital opened
1787 Derbyshire Wing of Nottingham General Hospital opened
1798 Edward Jenner published his findings about inoculation against smallpox using cowpox (vaccination)
1800 Nottingham General Hospital surgeon John Attenburrow inoculated his son with cowpox
1812 Nottingham General Hospital : more additions to the building, including four more wards
1812 Lunatic Asylum opened in Sneinton
1815 The Apothecaries Act was passed. Nottingham General Hospital began admitting indentured apprentices for training in medicine
1828 Nottingham General Hospital : Fever House opened for contagious diseases and patients suffering from venereal disease
1828 Nottingham Medico-Chirurgical Book Society founded
1831-1832 Nationwide cholera epidemic
1831 Nottingham General Hospital Dispensary opened in Hockley
1837 Basford Union Workhouse opened (later became known as Highbury Hospital)
1843 Nottingham General Hospital Dispensary moved to Broad Street
1845 Reforms to the nursing establishment at Nottingham General Hospital. Appointment of a salaried Superintendent Nurse from the Institution of Nursing Sisters in London
c.1846 Nottingham Medico-Chirurgical Book Society merged with the Nottingham Medical Book Society, and became the Nottingham Medico-Chirurgical Society
1847 Nationwide typhus epidemic
1848 Nationwide cholera epidemic
1848 Public Health Act
1854-1857 The Crimean War. Florence Nightingale worked at the army hospital at Scutari. The events at Scutari highlighted the dangers of poor sanitation, as more soldiers died from infections than battle wounds
1855 Nottingham General Hospital : third storey added to the original building, and Chapel built
1859 Florence Nightingale established the Nightingale Training School and published Notes on Nursing
1859 Eye Dispensary opened on Park Row, Nottingham
1866 Eye Dispensary moved to St James’s Street and changed name to The Nottingham and Midland Eye Infirmary
1869 Nottingham General Hospital : a trained Matron appointed for the first time
1869 The Free Hospital for Sick Children (Nottingham Children’s Hospital) opened
1873 Nottingham and Nottinghamshire Hospital Saturday Fund formed
1875 Castle Gate Hospital for Women opened
1879 Nottingham General Hospital : new surgical wing with two wards opened on Park Row frontage
1880 Mapperley Hospital opened
1885 Samaritan Hospital in Raleigh Street opened
1892 Nottingham Corporation opened Bagthorpe Isolation Hospital and Sanitorium
1897 Nottingham General Hospital : The Cedars convalescent home donated by Sir Charles Seely
1898 Nottingham General Hospital : X-Ray department established
1899 Nottingham Children’s Hospital moved to Forest House, Chestnut Grove, off Mansfield Road
1900 Nottingham General Hospital : Jubilee Wing opened
1902 Nottingham General Hospital : Fever Wards moved to old Children’s Hospital premises on Postern Street
1902 Saxondale Hospital opened, replacing the Sneinton Lunatic Asylum
1903 Bagthorpe Workhouse and Infirmary opened off Hucknall Road, together with a school of nursing (later the City Hospital School of Nursing)
1909 Bagthorpe Workhouse and Infirmary re-named the Bagthorpe Institute and Infirmary
1912 The Nottingham and Midland Eye Infirmary opened new premises on The Ropewalk
1915-1917 Nottingham General Hospital : temporary wards (‘the terrace huts’) erected on the lawn to house injured soldiers
1917 Ellerslie House on Gregory Boulevard purchased by the Duke of Portland and opened as Ellerslie House Home for Paralysed Soldiers and Sailors
1921 Linen Guild of Nottingham General Hospital formed
1923 Nottingham General Hospital : Nurses’ Memorial Home opened
1923 Amalgamation of Castle Gate Hospital for Women and Samaritan Hospital for Women
1925 Nottingham General Hospital : Ransom Pathology Laboratories opened
1927 Nottingham Children’s Hospital: new wing opened by H.R.H. Princess Mary, Viscountess Lascelles
1929 Nottingham General Hospital : Ropewalk Wing, Casualty Department, and the Mabel Player children’s ward (in an additional storey added to the Jubilee Wing) opened; old Fever House converted to a surgical wing
1929 Harlow Wood Orthopaedic Hospital near Mansfield opened
1930 Nottingham Hospital for Women in Peel Street received first patients
1930 Bagthorpe Infirmary re-named the City Infirmary
1931 Nottingham General Hospital : Pearson operating theatre opened
1932 Nottingham General Hospital : Player Wing medical block opened
1933 Nottingham General Hospital : The Cedars extended
1935 City Infirmary re-named the City Hospital
1938 Nottingham General Hospital : Pay Bed Wing opened
1938 Nottingham and Nottinghamshire Hospital Saturday Fund became the Nottingham and Nottinghamshire Hospital Saturday Contributory Fund
1939-1945 Second World War. Nottingham General Hospital became part of the Emergency Medical Service
1943 Nottingham General Hospital : Castle Ward opened
1945 Nottingham Hospital for Women took over Adbolton Hall as an annexe
1947 St Mary’s Nursing Home became a Maternity unit of the Nottingham Hospital for Women
1948 National Health Service established. Nottinghamshire hospitals come under the Sheffield Regional Hospital Board
1948 Nottingham No. 1 Hospital Management Committee formed to manage certain Nottingham hospitals including Nottingham General Hospital, Eye Infirmary, Children’s Hospital and Women’s Hospital
1948 Nottingham No. 2 Hospital Management Committee formed to manage certain Nottingham hospitals including the City Hospital
1948 Nottingham Nos. 3 and 4 Hospital Management Committees formed to manage certain Nottingham hospitals including Mapperley, St Ann’s and Saxondale
1948 Nottingham and Nottinghamshire Hospital Saturday Contributory Fund replaced by the Nottingham and District Health Fund
1948 General Hospital Nottingham Nurses’ League founded
1956 Linen Guild of Nottingham General Hospital became the General Hospital Nottingham Linen Guild and League of Hospital Friends
1959 The Nottingham and Midland Eye Infirmary re-named The Nottingham Eye Hospital
1963 Nottingham General Hospital : Intensive Care Unit opened
1964 Decision to establish a new medical school and build a new University Hospital in Nottingham
1970 Nottingham No. 1 Hospital Management Committee became the Nottingham University Hospital Management Committee
1970 Nottingham Nos. 3 and 4 Hospital Management Committees merged to became the Trent Vale Hospital Management Committee
1970 First students entered the University of Nottingham Medical School. Nottingham General Hospital and the City Hospital both acquired teaching hospital status
1972 Nottingham General Hospital : Trent Wing opened
1972 General Hospital Nottingham Nurses’ League became the Nottingham Hospitals Nurses’ League
1972 St Mary’s Nursing Home (Nottingham Hospital for Women) closed
1974 Trent Regional Health Authority replaced the Sheffield Regional Hospital Board
1974 Nottingham University Hospital Management Committee became the Nottinghamshire Area Health Authority (Teaching) South Nottingham District
1974 The City Hospital became part of the Nottinghamshire Area Health Authority (Teaching) North Nottingham District
1977 University Hospital and Medical School opened by H.M. Queen Elizabeth II and named the Queen’s Medical Centre (QMC)
1978 QMC received its first in-patients, from Nottingham Children’s Hospital
1978 Nottingham Children’s Hospital closed, and all functions moved to QMC
1978 Eye treatments split between The Nottingham Eye Hospital and the QMC
1980 Nottinghamshire Area Health Authority (Teaching) South Nottingham District replaced by the Nottingham Health Authority
1980 Nottingham Hospital for Women: Adbolton Hall closed
1981 Nottingham Hospitals Nurses’ League became the Nottingham Nurses’ League
1981 Nottingham Hospital for Women closed, and all functions moved to QMC
1982 Nottingham General Hospital : bicentenary year
1983 Nottingham General Hospital : Stroke Research Unit opened
1983 The Nottingham Eye Hospital closed, and all functions moved to QMC
1988 Saxondale Hospital closed
1992 General Hospital Nottingham Linen Guild and League of Hospital Friends met for the last time
1992 Nottingham General Hospital closed, and all functions moved to QMC

 

Next page: Bibliography

 

Manuscripts and Special Collections

Kings Meadow Campus
Lenton Lane
Nottingham, NG7 2NR

telephone: +44 (0) 115 951 4565
fax: +44 (0) 115 846 8651
email: mss-library@nottingham.ac.uk