logo
Manuscripts and Special Collections
   
   
  

Charles William Bury, 1st Earl of Charleville (1764-1835

<< Back to full list of biographies

The Earl of Charleville came from a landed family based at Charleville Forest, county Offaly [formerly known as King's County]. He had political control of the borough of Carlow, and through this influence was created a Peer of Ireland in 1797 as Baron Tullamore.

He was elevated further as Viscount Charleville in 1800, and was created Earl of Charleville in 1806. In November 1801, Viscount Charleville was elected as a Representative Peer of Ireland to sit in the British House of Lords.

He was an antiquary and president of the Royal Hibernian Academy. He married Catherine Maria, née Dawson, the widow of James Tisdall, in 1798. Lady Charleville died in 1851.

Lord Charleville was responsible for building a new Gothick style castle at Charleville Forest, and developed the town of Tullamore, much of which he owned. However, the family spent much of their time living expensively in London.

 

 

 

Manuscripts and Special Collections

Kings Meadow Campus
Lenton Lane
Nottingham, NG7 2NR

telephone: +44 (0) 115 951 4565
fax: +44 (0) 115 846 8651
email: mss-library@nottingham.ac.uk