Welcome to the Department of Spanish, Portuguese & Latin American Studies
Spanish, Portuguese and Latin American Studies students enjoy the facilities provided by the Trent building
The Department of Spanish, Portuguese and Latin American Studies is the joint top-ranking research department nationally. We teach Spanish and Portuguese language and we cover Spain, Portugal, Brazil, Spanish America and Lusophone Africa. We offer literature, history, cultural studies, film and visual culture, from the Renaissance to the present day. Our staff and postgraduates research in all these areas.
Take a look at our Spanish, Portuguese and Latin American Studies newsletter, "SPLAT"
- Organised by the Education Network of the Students' Union, the Staff Oscars is a student-led event. The nominations judging panel is comprised of School Education Reps, elected students who act as 'head course reps' for their School/Department. The process is then overseen by both the Education Officer and Postgraduate Officer, the joint figureheads of the Network.
- We are delighted to inform you that Professor Bernard McGuirk, Dr Gianluca Sergi and Dr Nickolas Luker were nominated as one of the 100 Heroes!
- Dr Fani Tabak, lecturer and former Head of the Department of Literature, at the Universidade Federal do Triangulo Mineiro (UFTM), Brazil. Fani will be in the Department for one year working on a research project on Brazilian women and Brazilian Independence
- 08 - 09 May 2014
- Translation and Comparative Cultural Studies: East and West in Dialogue on 8-9 May 2014, at the Institute for Modern Languages Research, University of London
- 14 May 2014
- Trent A19 Committee room
- Stephanie Lewthwaite 'Regionalism and Modernism in New Mexico: The Postwar Painting of Edward Chavez'
- 19 May 2014
- College Court, University of Leicester
- A free one-day conference for arts and humanities early career researchers (and potential researchers) at the six universities of the Midlands3Cities Doctoral Training Partnership, sponsored by the British Academy.