Global placement grant (GPG)
Are you looking for a fun and exciting way to gain CV enhancing skills over the summer? Would you like to complete a work placement overseas, but worried about how to fund it? Then this grant could be perfect just for you!
The opportunity to work abroad can offer students a wealth of skills and experiences to enhance their CVs and help them decide on their future career paths. However, we appreciate these experiences can be expensive and therefore not easy for everyone to access. To help ensure these opportunities are available to more students, the Faculty of Arts are pleased to announce the launch of their new Global placement grant.
Students can apply for up to £750 to enable them to undertake a work placement overseas during their summer holidays.
Undergraduate students whose home school is within the Faculty of Arts (School of English, School of Humanities or School of Cultures, Languages and Area Studies) can apply. Previous recipients of the GPG or the International Work Experience Grant (IWEG) administered by the Careers and Employability Service are ineligible to apply.
Students must meet one of the following criteria:
- Are in receipt of a University of Nottingham Core Bursary or Nottingham Potential bursary
- Have a declared disability. If you have a disability which you have not declared to the university, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- I identify as having Black, Asian or Minority Ethnic (BAME) ethnicity
- The home address used on your UCAS application is in an area where people are less likely to go to university. A POLAR postcode check is carried out post application to confirm this so there may be instances where applications aren’t accepted on this basis
- You are a mature student (21 or over at the start of your course)
- You have spent more than three months in local authority care
- You are under 25 and estranged from your family
- You are a carer
- Have refugee status from the Home Office
If you don’t meet the above criteria, you may be able to apply for an International Work Experience Grant.
It is the students’ responsibility to find, apply for, and appropriately investigate the placement and organisation they wish to work with. The placement must:
- be an overseas placement opportunity outside of the UK and not in your home country (if you are an EU or International student) during the summer vacation period June to end of September 2023
- not form part of your course requirements, it must be for additional work experiences only
- be through an organisation of good standing and not be based in a country where travel is not recommended by the Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO)
Where can you find these placements?
Students are expected to find their own placements, and share the information in their application form with the Faculty Placements Team for approval. Some places other students have secured placements through are as follows:
This list is not exclusive, and students are welcome to secure a placement through an alternative provider if they wish, but these organisations have taken students from the University before so it’s a great place to start!
How to apply
Students wishing to apply for the GPG must complete an online application form.
Please be aware your answers will be shared with the Careers and Employability Service, as students who are unsuccessful in applying for the Faculty of Arts GPG may be considered for an International Work Experience Grant (IWEG) without having to submit a separate application.
- Application deadline: Tuesday 11 April
Terms and conditions for the Global placements grant
Application guide for the Global placements grant