The world is changing and rapid growth in human population, combined with climate change pose major challenges to society, including inadequate food supply and spread of infectious disease.
Study with us
Our courses demonstrate how improved understanding of biology can overcome those challenges.
We focus on plants and animals, the production and preservation of agricultural and food commodities, food manufacture, nutrition, health and disease, biotechnology and food safety.
Biosciences at Nottingham
World changing science
Food and Nutrition BSc | MSci
Combine excellent scientific knowledge with in-depth understanding of the factors that influence consumer food choices.
Find out more
The school has been awarded Athena SWAN Silver, which recognises the advances we are making in gender equality.
Research Excellence Framework 2014
Across the Schools of Biosciences and Veterinary Medicine and Science, 97% of work was judged to be of international quality and 37% of work was assessed as world-leading (4-star).
We are proud to have the top ranked research environment within Unit of Assessment 6 (Agriculture, Veterinary and Food Science).
- The University of Nottingham is ranked 1st for Agriculture & Forestry for the third year running in the Complete University Guide 2020
- We are again ranked in 1st position for teaching in Agriculture by the Complete University Guide. This represents 3 years running that UoN have held the top spot in the Combined University Guide for Agriculture.
- It is based in Melton Mowbray, Kettleby Foods produces a range of high quality chilled ready meals supplying major retailers, e.g. TESCO & Sainsbury.
- Talk by John Hayes, Associate Professor of Food Science, Penn State University.
- The Nutrition Fair aims to help people make informed choices about their lifestyle in relation to food and nutrition. The fair is open to everyone and will offer opportunities to find out more information on nutrition, food and health.