Equality, diversity and inclusion
We are committed to supporting career development and working to Athena SWAN principles for all our staff
Our Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Committee are keen to hear about any issue that impacts on equality, diversity or inclusion. Any submissions will be treated as anonymous.
- Initiatives to raise the profile of women in science including a seminar series, posters and our EDI blog
- New for 2019: Sutton Bonington Campus Parenting Room located in A08 Gateway
- Athena SWAN Silver award in recognition of advances we are making in gender equality.
- Equality-based initiatives including flexible working, transparent and fairly advertised appointments and workshops to support promotion applications.
- We proudly celebrate the Women in Biosciences who have inspired us throughout the generations.
- Our Behavioural Charter supports equality and valuing individuals for who they are.
In addition to implementing the University's Equality and Diversity strategies, the School also offers:
- paid maternity leave for Home/EU postgraduate research students
- informal flexible working
- reduced teaching and administration duties for staff returning from maternity leave
- School meetings, events and training held in core hours.
Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Committee (EDI)
The School of Biosciences EDI Committee develops and implements strategies and policies to ensure that staff and students are treated solely on the basis of their merits, abilities and potential, regardless of gender, race, colour, nationality, ethnic/national origin, age, socio-economic background, disability, religious/political beliefs, family circumstances or sexual orientation.
It has representation from academic, technical, research and administrative staff together with undergraduate and postgraduate students.
For further information, please contact the Chair of the committee, Dr Kirsten Whitehead.