Careers and Employability Service
Services for current students

Changing or leaving your course

Student talking to a Student Services adviser

Every year some students consider changing or leaving their course. If you are in this situation, you need not feel alone. 

Think about the reasons why you want to change or leave your course as that can help identify the help you need. There is plenty of support available at the University to help you to make the right decision.


Why are you thinking about leaving or changing your course?

  • Is the course not as interesting as you thought or are you finding it difficult? 
  • Is it the way your course is taught, for example the mix of lectures, seminars or individual work?
  • Is it the way the course is assessed or frequency of assessments?
  • Do you feel generally unhappy or unsettled at university? 
  • Do you have health or other personal issues? 
  • Is finance an issue?

Who can support you during this time at Nottingham?

Whatever your reasons for changing or leaving your course, there are staff across the University who can help.

  • Your personal tutor. Speaking to your personal tutor about the course, its suitability and your experience is so important  
  • The Student Support and Wellbeing Service offers support and advice on a wide range of issues including interruption of studies. Watch their video on the webpage and find your faculty contact details
  • The Students' Union Advice offers help with course concerns, financial difficulties and wellbeing advice. This service is impartial and completely independent from the University
  • Student Service Centres are available to offer advice and information on finance, course and wellbeing queries. Use their website or visit them on campus
  • The University Counselling Service is available all year round offering a range of services including workshops, self-help resources and individual counselling

What is the process for changing or withdrawing from your course?

The staff from the services above will be able to guide you through the process, but here are some weblinks to relevant pages of the University's website.

A good starting point to find out more is the Student Services' change, interrupt or withdraw from your studies webpage.

For more detailed information about the process, go to 

What are the career implications?

Our careers advisers offer independent and impartial guidance. We can help if you have changed your career intentions since starting your course and with the career implications of not completing your degree or starting a new one.

We can also help you think about possible employment options if you are thinking of leaving higher education altogether and can refer you to other useful sources of help and advice. 

Talk to us - book a time suitable for you on MyCareer

Careers and Employability Service

University of Nottingham
Portland Building, Level D
University Park
Nottingham, NG7 2RD

telephone: +44 (0) 115 951 3680
fax: +44 (0) 115 951 3679