Joining your appointment
Participating in a one-to-one careers appointment
You can choose the format for your careers appointment (via MS Teams, Skype or telephone).
Not sure how to access these different formats?
By Microsoft Teams (recommended)
All students can access Microsoft Teams by using their University Office 365 account.
To access the full functionality of MS Teams please download the Teams app to your desktop, but if you’re unable to do this you can access the meeting via the web browser.
Find out more on the Office 365 webpage.
On the day of your appointment, ensure you have the Teams app open (or have signed into your O365 account via your web browser), and you’ll receive a notification of an incoming call.
- When awaiting for the MS Teams call from an adviser, please check that your MS Teams online status is not set to Do Not Disturb otherwise you will miss the adviser's call.
- If you are an alumnus using your personal email, we will need to set up an MS Teams meeting for the appointment. Please check your email for the meeting request.
- Click on the Join now button to answer the call. You will need to ensure you have your audio turned on, so you can talk with the adviser, but the video is optional (turning off the video can help maintain Wi-Fi signal).
- Useful tip: You can share your screen with the adviser if required (for example, if you wanted to ask a question about the wording on a job advertisement) by using the share screen function on the menu ribbon. Similarly, the adviser may wish to share their screen with you, to show you any resources. You do not need to have your video switched on to do this.
- At the end of the call, simply hang up by clicking the red button.
When booking your appointment, if you select Skype you will be prompted to provide your Username.
If you don’t already have an account, you can set this up via the Skype homepage.
On the day, please ensure you are signed into Skype, and you’ll see an incoming call notification when we call.
- You can choose the handset icon for an audio call or the camera icon for a video call.
- At the end of the call, hang up as normal.
When booking your appointment on MyCareer, if you select telephone you will be prompted to provide the number you want us to call you on.
At the time of the appointment, please ensure you are available to take our call.
We’ll always call you, and won’t ask you to call us, so you should not incur any charges.
For students located overseas please check your mobile service provider’s charges in advance to receive international calls, and if necessary choose another method for us to contact you.