Nottingham Internship Scheme
The Nottingham Internship Scheme provides a range of work experience opportunities exclusively for our students and graduates.
All of the opportunities are with small to medium-sized enterprises (SMEs), charities or social organisations. They take place throughout the year with schemes during spring and summer.
Summer internships are now live. Follow the link to find out more about eligibility criteria and a list of vacancies.
Rachel's journey from summer internship to graduate job
Intern at Green's Mill and Science Centre
Rachel Flaxman found her hands-on role with Green's Mill and Science Centre an excellent way to gain experience in the competitive heritage sector.
Associate curator at the Science Museum
I have recently received a promotion to associate curator of interactive galleries at the Science Museum. I can wholeheartedly say that my internship with the Nottingham Internship Scheme was what kick started my career.
Rachel Flaxman, classical civilisation graduate
Five reasons to apply for an internship
Through an internship you will:
- apply your skills in a real world environment
- gain the vital 'soft skills' that employers are looking for, for example business communications skills and teamwork
- increase your commercial awareness, that is understanding the business and sector you are working in
- build connections with businesses and people in the location and sector that interests you
- get paid!
And ... some of our interns have secured longer term and permanent graduate employment with the company!
Read Katie's blog post - Internship Diaries: What To Expect
Why work for an SME?
Working in an SME will be a unique experience.
- You are likely to have more responsibility.
- You will have more visibility as you are working in a smaller company, and may find yourself sat next to the director.
- You may get involved in all areas of the business, which will give you a great overview of different business functions.
Read more about working for an SME on our blog
Roles offered through the Nottingham Internship Scheme
There are a wide range of career areas covered by our schemes including:
- social impact researcher
- digital marketing executive
- software developer
- assistant ecologist
- scientific researcher
- data recovery technician
- PR and social media assistant
- development engineer
For the latest news about these programmes, please complete our form:
Visit MyCareer for the latest news about these programmes
Hear from previous interns
Ben Garry, English graduate
Ben Garry reflects on how his internship with Impression Digital in Nottingham allowed him to work on marketing projects which made a direct impact on clients.
Daniel Markcoons, engineering graduate
Daniel Markcoons applied for a Project Management internship with Protolan to gain valuable insight into a professional environment before graduating.
The value of work experience
Great experience! I feel much more confident and positive about the prospect of full-time work. The insight I got into office life and skills in Excel was really valuable.
I feel I have a wider range of skills that I can refer to on my CV or in interviews - real work experience.
It was such a fantastic experience, my first real job. It will undoubtedly make it easier for me to get a job in the future. I am very very grateful for this opportunity. Thank you for your help.
The Nottingham Internship Scheme is funded by Santander Universities. Read their full terms and conditions