Nottingham Internship Scheme
The Nottingham Internship Scheme (NIS) provides a range of work experience opportunities exclusively for our students and graduates.
All of the opportunities are with small to medium-sized enterprises (SMEs), charities or social organisations. They take place throughout the year with schemes during spring and summer.
Hear about Jesica's internship experience
One of the benefits of the internship was developing commericial awareness. So the opportunity to make make decisions, connect with people and learn about different areas within the business really helped.
Jesica Dahal, third year Industrial Economics
- NIS spring internships take place over the Easter break and are ten days long. In order to participate students will need to meet eligibility criteria which will be confirmed when applications open in February.
- Interns will be paid a bursary by the university that will meet the National Living Wage as a minimum.
- Internships will be hosted by SMEs in Nottingham and Nottinghamshire.
- NIS summer internships will be eight weeks long and take place from June 2022 onwards.
- All of the internships will be paid the National Living Wage as a minimum.
- The employers will be based in Nottingham and Nottinghamshire but some may be further afield, they will all be SMEs, charities or community interest companies.
Apply for summer internships
Five reasons to apply for an internship
Through an internship you will:
- apply your skills in a real world environment
- gain the vital 'soft skills' that employers are looking for, for example business communications skills and teamwork
- increase your commercial awareness, that is understanding the business and sector you are working in
- build connections with businesses and people in the location and sector that interests you
- get paid!
And ... some of our interns have secured longer term and permanent graduate employment with the company!
Read Katie's blog post - Internship Diaries: What To Expect
Why work for an SME?
Working in an SME will be a unique experience.
- You are likely to have more responsibility.
- You will have more visibility as you are working in a smaller company, and may find yourself sat next to the director.
- You may get involved in all areas of the business, which will give you a great overview of different business functions.
Read more about working for an SME on our blog
Roles offered through the Nottingham Internship Scheme
There are a wide range of career areas covered by our schemes including:
- social impact researcher
- digital marketing executive
- software developer
- assistant ecologist
- scientific researcher
- data recovery technician
- PR and social media assistant
- development engineer
For the latest news about these programmes, please complete our form:
Visit MyCareer for the latest news about these programmes
Hear from previous interns
Great experience! I feel much more confident and positive about the prospect of full-time work. The insight I got into office life and skills in Excel was really valuable.
I feel I have a wider range of skills that I can refer to on my CV or in interviews - real work experience.
It was such a fantastic experience, my first real job. It will undoubtedly make it easier for me to get a job in the future. I am very very grateful for this opportunity. Thank you for your help.