Careers and Employability Service
Services for current students

Part-time and vacation work

Student helping visitors at an open day

Finding a part-time or temporary job is important for many students. You can earn money and boost your CV at the same time!

Whatever type of work you do, don't underestimate the value of the work and the skills you have gained. We can help you reflect on your experience and articulate how this has developed your skills.

We would advise you not to work more than 16 hours a week during term time so that your job does not interfere with your studies.

Your next steps

Get your CV ready to apply for part-time jobs.

Book a CV review  appointment


Unitemps on campus

The Unitemps team advertise part-time, casual and temporary jobs on campus and with local businesses. Created just for you, we advertise vacancies that can fit around your studies and other commitments. 

The vacancies are advertised on the Unitemps website.

Unitemps offers:

  • interesting assignments
  • excellent rates of pay
  • holiday pay accrued with every hour you work
  • complete flexibility – you choose when you work

There are a variety of opportunities available, including administrative work, marketing, events and hospitality work, translation work, project work and many more.

Don't worry if you don't have any work experience on your CV, there are plenty of opportunities you can apply for including student ambassador roles at Open Days.

Find out more:

Call the team on 0115 846 7374 between 9am and 5pm, Monday to Friday


Henry Durand, American studies and history student employed via Unitemps

Social media ambassador

Henry works as a social media ambassador creating promotional campaigns for events and initatives.

He schedules posts on Twitter and Facebook through HootSuite, social media management platform.


More sources of vacancies


International students and PhD students

International students

Most international students are eligible to work up to 20 hours a week during term time. However, this will depend on your visa so it is important to check on an individual basis.

Check UKCISA for more information

PhD students

Before undertaking part-time work, please check with your department if there is any restriction on the number of hours you can work, especially for jobs outside the University.

Science and engineering students may be recruited to work as demonstrators within the University. Talk to your supervisor or look on your department noticeboard for vacancies at the end of your first year.

Arts and humanities students may be recruited for teaching work within the University, for example, as a language assistant. These opportunities are more suitable for second and third year students. Talk to your supervisor or look on your department noticeboard for vacancies.

Other more general opportunities exist within the University, for example resident tutor in a hall of residence. These posts are advertised on the University's website.


Your rights at work, Income Tax and National Insurance

Your rights at work

For information on your working rights in the UK such as the National Minimum Wage, the National Living Wage and working hours, please visit the following page:

Your rights at work

Income tax

When you begin work you will need a tax code which tells your employer what your personal tax allowance will be. To obtain your tax code, you will need to fill in a P46 form. 

For details of paying Income Tax visit the HMRC website or contact HM Customs and Revenue office Nottingham 0300 200 3500. 

National Insurance

If you are a UK citizen you should have been sent a card with the details of your NI number from HM Revenues and Customs (HMRC) shortly after your sixteenth birthday. If you didn't receive one or have lost it, please contact HMRC on 0300 200 3500.

If you are a non-UK citizen, you should contact Jobcentre Plus to apply for your NI number as soon as you are offered a job. Contact them on 0845 600 0643.

You will be invited to an interview at your local JobCentre Plus office. It usually takes six to 12 weeks for your application to be processed but you can still work during this time. Inform your employer as soon as you have your NI number. 



Careers and Employability Service

University of Nottingham
Portland Building, Level D
University Park
Nottingham, NG7 2RD

telephone: +44 (0) 115 951 3680
fax: +44 (0) 115 951 3679