The University Counselling Service

What is counselling?

When you are experiencing problems it can be helpful to talk about them with someone else. You might turn to a friend or family member, but there are times when it can also be useful to talk to an impartial person such as a counsellor who is experienced in helping you to think about your difficulties when you are feeling stressed or distressed.

This service offers appointments on a "One at a Time" basis - this does not mean you will only get one session but it does mean that at each session you will be invited to review with your counsellor whether a further appointment is needed.

Your counsellor will help you to reflect on your situation and to think about your needs and possible choices.

The Counselling Consultation offers you the opportunity to talk about concerns in a way that's different to talking to someone you are close to. A counsellor can help you get perspective on the situation, and it can feel easier to express yourself.

Making an appointment to see a counsellor is a decision only you can make, even when someone has recommended it to you.

What can I talk about?

The University Counselling service provides support for a wide range of emotional and psychological issues including:

  • anxiety
  • depression
  • family concerns
  • bereavement
  • work and study related problems
  • worries about drugs and alcohol
  • eating difficulties
  • physical or sexual abuse

What do I need to do?

The University Counselling service is now a referral only service.

To arrange an appointment with the counselling service, you will need to meet with a member of staff from one of the following services:

Who is the best person to speak to?
The support and wellbeing team are based locally in the schools and provide wellbeing support to students.

The residential experience (ResX) team provide support to students living in university supported accommodation.

The disability team provide support to disabled students.

The support and report team provide support to students reporting incidents to the university.

What happens next?
The person who refers you to the Counselling Service will complete a referral form with you to provide the service with some information about you and the difficulties you are facing.

Once we have received your registration form, the counselling service will ring you from a withheld number to book an appointment with a counsellor.

NB If you complete a registration form without first being referred, you will be redirected to meet with one of the above services, so that a counselling referral can be properly completed.


All our counsellors are committed to practising counselling in ways that are inclusive, accessible and affirming to students from all backgrounds, cultures, ethnicity, beliefs, sexualities, abilities, gender identities and socio-economies.  The Service promotes and enhances inclusivity through ongoing training commitments.


We invite you to feedback to us throughout your contact with our Service primarily, with your counsellor or our admin team.

There might be a situation where this won't suit your needs howver, if you need to make a complaint, the Service will take action promptly and in line with the BACP Ethical Framework.

The Counselling Service complaints procedure is designed to enable complaints to be listened to, responded to and to take action where it is decided that change or improvement is required.  Where necessary appropriate concerns will be escalated to the appropriate organisational level.  

If you have a complaint regarding any aspects of the Service, or conduct of a member of UCS staff, please contact the Service directly.





University Counselling Service

The Orchards
University Park
Nottingham, NG7 2RD

telephone: +44 (0)115 951 3695

BACP Accredited Service logo