Laptop Loan and Repair
A laptop loan and repair service for students.
What is the Laptop Loan and Repair service?
Our dedicated team, based at the Portland Building, offer a laptop loan service for students
We also repair students' personal laptops (we don't charge for labour – only the parts you need)
Book an appointment
You will need to book an appointment to use the Laptop Loan and Repair service.
Complete the following form to request an appointment - we will contact you within two working days:
Request an appointment
Return a loaned laptop
Use the following link to book an appointment to return your loan laptop:
Book appointment to return laptop
Loan a laptop for free for 30 days (loan periods for more than 30 days can be requested under special circumstances)
Windows 10 laptops (with Microsoft 365)
You can install software as required, and the hard drive is wiped after you return the laptop
Laptops are loaned on a first-come, first-served basis. Laptops can be requested by completing this form
Conditions of loan
- Loans are available for students only
- Loans are for 30 days (unless otherwise agreed)
- You must have a valid University Card, username and password
- You must agree to our Terms and Conditions of Loan
- You must agree to the conditions within the Code of Practice
- You must return the laptop in good condition and by the agreed return date
- Should any damages occur, you will be liable for the cost of repair
Software and operating system repairs
Available for personal laptops running Windows*, macOS or GNU/Linux
Available to all students at the University of Nottingham
Your laptop will be booked into our workshop and we will let you know when it is ready to collect
* We will only support Windows 10 devices onwards. Older versions of Windows are not longer supported by Microsoft. We can assist with helping you upgrade to a newer version of Windows (where possible).
Note: We don't charge for labour – only the parts you need. For minor software issues, please use the virtual Smart Bar.
- Virus and malware removal
- Startup issues, crashes and stability problems
- Backups and data recovery
- Operating system upgrades and reinstallations
- Hard drive replacements and upgrades
- Screen replacements
- Hardware repairs including micro soldering and board repairs
- Ultrasonic cleaning
We do not offer counter support or on the spot repairs. For simple software issues and general advice, please contact the Smart Bar service.
Our IT specialists are on-hand to fix a wide range of personal devices for students. We offer free advice on how to resolve technical problems. Please note this is a student only service.
We never charge for labour – only service costs and the parts you need.
We only use parts supplied by us.
What to bring to your appointment
Please make sure you bring the following items with you to your appointment:
- The device that needs repairing (excluding laptop bags or cases)
- Power lead for the device (if appropriate)
- International power adaptor (if required) for the power lead
- USB pen drive or external hard drive if you wish any data to be copied from the computer
- Description of the problem (including any error messages)
- Your preferred contact details
Where to find us
At the time of your booked appointment, go to:
Laptop Loan and Repair, Portland Building, B09, B floor on University Park (building 15).
If you have any questions about this service, you can contact us at email@example.com.
You can also get general advice and other simple fixes from our support team at Smart Bars: