Based at King's Meadow Campus the Mailroom processes all internal and external mail and packages for the university.
Our aim is to deliver every item of mail as cost effectively as possible, to the correct address, without loss, damage or delay.
Please remember our team are only as good as the information supplied by you. If you change building or department, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
For all enquiries and advice on postal matters please telephone
0115 951 3011
Monday to Friday
For student postroom services go here
New service – you can now send letters, parcels or large packages from the mailroom. Simply purchase the service via the online tool, take your package to either the Mailroom at KMC or the Student Mailroom at Derby Hall along with the code generated during purchase and leave the rest to them.
Meet the team
Mailroom Manager – Steven Prior
Senior Mailroom Operative – Yvonne Hill
James Holland, James Nettleton, Marie Shelton, Paul Swift, Roger Fitch, Tracy Roberts, Steven Currier, Stephanie Green, Daniel Hodgkiss.
Based at King's Meadow Campus, the Mailroom processes all the mail for the university.
List of services provided by the Mailroom
- UK mail
- International mail
- Royal Mail Next Day/Special Delivery/Recorded Delivery
- Parcel and overnight services, DHL/Parcel Force
- Internal university mail
- Importing goods from UK and overseas
How to present your mail
Frequently asked questions
We can offer internal mail that is tracked and signed for, this needs to be highlighted by writing this on the top left hand corner of your item.
Sending letters, parcels and packages
The Mailroom now offers a new facility whereby both staff and students can send letters, parcels and packages via the Mailroom.
Simply purchase the required service via the online tool, take your package to either the Mailroom at KMC or the Student Mailroom at Derby Hall along with the code generated during purchase and leave the rest to them.
This is particularly useful for students wanting to send items or large packages home at the end of term, or for staff that haven’t the time to make it to the Post Office.
Sending and receiving mail
If you would like to organise a regular collection from your department, you need to set up an incoming mail tray and outgoing mail tray. The Mailroom can provide you with red and green mail bags for your mail. Please email email@example.com with the following information:
- The exact room and location within a department you would like the mail collecting from
- The frequency you would like your collections
- The charge code for your department or project code
How to address items
If you are unsure of the address, use the Royal Mail Address Finder
Please see our quick guide on how to address your mail correctly - How to present your mail
When posting something to someone in the UK, write the address like this:
- Addressee's name
- House number and street name
- Locality name – if needed
- Town – please print in capitals
- Full postcode – please print in capitals
Mark clearly the service you require in the top left-hand corner of the envelope/packet/parcel.
Mark clearly and separate international letters.
If you want to make sure your post can be returned to you, don’t forget to include your UK return address on each item. Items that cannot be delivered will be returned to you.
What is the cost of sending items?
Advice on size-based pricing can be found at Royal Mail Price Finder.
All external mail is sent second class unless the envelope is marked otherwise. It is worth noting that costs are now related to envelope size as well as weight. Departments can save money by folding A4 documents into A5 or DL envelopes where possible.
Sending internal mail within university departments
Please clearly write the receiver's name and department. We encourage the use of recycled envelopes for sending internal mail. Please make sure you cross out any old receiver names and departments.
Internal mail is picked up on all delivery runs. Morning mail is sorted at pickup and where applicable is delivered the same morning if possible. Mail picked up in the afternoon is delivered the next day.
Bulk mail collection/mail shot
The Mailroom requires advance notice of bulk mailings. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the following information:
- Quantity of items
- The size of the items – for example letter/packet/box
- The service you require – for example first class/Royal Mail Special Delivery/courier
- Location of the collection
All overseas mailings should be separated, all addresses should be orientated the same way and face forward.
Lost or damaged goods (enquire about goods that have not arrived)
If your department is moving location to another room or building, the Mailroom requires notification. If you would like to have the mail held at the Mailroom until the move is complete or redirected to the new location, please contact email@example.com with the following information:
- Department name
- Current location
- New location
- Moving date
Insurance for items over £60
The university has insurance which will cover your goods during transit – the minimum cost for each policy is £8.00. We recommend this as it is significantly cheaper than DHL’s insurance. If you are taking university equipment off site and require it to be insured whilst in transit or off-site please complete this form.
Please tick the box to retain a copy of the form – once it has been submitted you will no longer be able to access the information.
Post box locations
- Highfields post box on Beeston Lane and Jubilee Avenue roundabout by the west entrance.
- Portland post box – B floor, south entrance opposite Porter’s office.
- Cripps Hall post box – located at Welcome Point reception.
- Cavendish Hall post box – located in main foyer below the post.
- Derby Hall post box – to the left of the main entrance to the main hall/Echo Bar.
- Lenton Hall post box – to the left of the old reception desk.
- Nightingale Hall post box – on the right in the main corridor after the double doors.
- Willoughby post box – to the right of the old reception.
- Exchange Building – located near the cash machine at the front of the Exchange Building.
- Newark Hall – located inside the main foyer near to reception.
- Campus Agricultural College post box – located on College Road, opposite the entrance to the sports centre.