Support for teachers
We offer a range of courses to support teachers with teaching GCSE and A level mathematics.
About our courses
We support teachers with:
- Developing strategies to address the challenges of working with Higher Tier GCSE pupils. We provide teachers with an opportunity to integrate these materials within their departments and schemes of work.
- Continuing professional development (CPD) courses for any A level module which can be delivered in school or at the University.
How to book
For all events listed, further details and a booking form can be obtained by emailing Dr Ria Symonds.
Find out about further CPD events and teacher network meetings in the East Midlands.
Level 3 Core Maths CPD
There are two 1-day events that run for teachers covering some of the key aspects of teaching the Core Maths qualification.
Fees: There is no charge for these courses
Core Maths: A Fresh approach to Teaching Mathematics
An engaging event focused on supporting teachers with the delivery of the increasingly popular Core Maths qualifications.
This course is suitable for anyone who is already teaching Core Maths this academic year, or for teachers who are interested in finding out more prior to teaching Core Maths.
Core Maths: Planning for Assessment and beyond
This one-day event will be suitable for any teachers who are currently teaching the Core Maths qualification or who may be planning to teach it in the future.
The day will be split into two halves; the morning will concentrate on planning for assessment and the afternoon will be dedicated to looking at cross-curricular links within other subjects.
GCSE Raising Confidence CPD days
This one-day course focuses on increasing classroom confidence with GCSE topics that are vital for students continuing into Core Maths, AS/A level Mathematics and Further Mathematics study.
This course will benefit teachers who wish to improve their teaching of GCSE maths and want to support their students with the transition into post-16 maths
The aims of the course are to:
- raise the confidence of students when working with the more demanding topics in GCSE Mathematics
- provide alternative strategies and resources for teachers to use in classrooms
- support teachers in preparing students for maths beyond GCSE
There is no charge. Some Schools and Colleges may be eligible to receive a further subsidy of £150 to support staff cover and travel costs. Please get in touch to find out more.
Problem Solving in Mathematics Admissions Tests CPD
Admissions tests are being used by an increasing number of universities to identify students suitable for their undergraduate STEM degrees. Some of these examinations form part of the university offer and some can be used to lower A level offers on particular courses.
This professional development course looks at the three main admissions tests for undergraduate Mathematics degrees, the MAT, TMUA and STEP examinations.
The course will include materials suitable for use in general classes to develop students’ problem solving skills.
All applicants pay a course fee of £50 to secure a place on the course.
All state schools, academies and colleges whose teachers attend the course are entitled to a bursary of £200 for every teacher from their school who attends. This is paid on confirmation of attendance by the course leader and is subject to the school/college finance department providing payment details.
General A-level Maths/Further Maths CPD days
We can also help with general CPD to cover any topics on the new A-level Mathematics and Further Mathematics syllabi.
- An intro to teaching A-level Maths for new teachers
- An intro the teaching A-level Further Maths for new teachers
- Teaching AA/A-level Statistics
- Teaching AS/A-level Mechanics
- Use of technology in teaching A-level Mathematics
In most cases we can supply CPD to cater the needs of the region and so if there is a particular area of CPD required in your school/college please get in touch.