Services for Students


Disability Support Services FAQs



You are disabled under the Equality Act 2010 if you have a physical or mental impairment that has a ‘substantial’ and ‘long term’ negative effect on your ability to do normal daily activity.

Many people who don’t think of themselves as disabled can access support from our office/service – unseen medical or mental health conditions are included, and so are Specific Learning Differences like dyslexia, dyspraxia and ADHD.



It is recommended that students contact their Schools for advice in the first instance. For further information about what to do if you have a temporary injury, please refer to information on Accident and short-term illness examination arrangements. If it becomes a long-term injury, then the Disability Support Services team can offer advice. 


In addition to Disability Support Services, the University offers a wide range of support and advice via the HealthyU pages. Mental health and wellbeing support you may access could include Counselling, University of Nottingham Health Service at Cripps Health Centre, and the Mental Health Advisory Service. 


For information about the evidence you need to provide, please visit our Tell us of a disability webpages.
Disability Support Services need your evidence so that we can put your support in place for your studies. For more information about how your data is used, please see our Privacy Statement.
Yes, our getting around campus and choosing accommodation page includes further information about this and other pre-arrival information you may need to consider.
Yes, the buddies and peer mentors in your academic school may be able to help. You can also speak to your Support and Wellbeing advisor, or contact Counselling. Do also keep in touch with your Disability Support Adviser or Academic Support tutor.
Yes. As long as you have provided satisfactory evidence of your disability, SpLDs and/or long-term medical conditions by the relevant university examination adjustments deadline, and the adjustments have been agreed with Disability Support Services, then your agreed arrangements will be put in place for you at university.

Disabled Students' Allowances (DSA) are non means-tested funds to help full and part time home undergraduate and postgraduate students to pay for extra costs they may incur whilst attending their course, as a direct result of their disability, Specific Learning Differences (e.g. dyslexia, dyspraxia, ADHD) or long term medical condition, including mental health issues. They are distributed by funding bodies such as the Student Loans Company, postgraduate research councils and the NHS.   

The allowances help with:  

  • The cost of specialist assistive software and equipment 
  • The expense of a non-medical personal helper 
  • Other general costs such as additional printing costs
  • Extra travel costs the student has to pay as a result of their disability

Details of how to apply for DSA are available via

Displaying 1 to 10 of 12
Previous 1 2 Next



Student Services

University Park

Please see our need help page for telephone and online contact points