Services for Students



Submitting your evidence

To make recommendations for alternative arrangements in exams we do need supporting evidence.  Please see below for further clarification of the type of evidence that will be required.

Instructions on how to share evidence confidentially with us is detailed on the right hand side of this web page.  You will need to upload documents to NottinghamHub.

Evidence must be provided in English. If a translation is required, it is your responsibility to arrange this with an accredited professional translation service.

If you are finding it difficult to get suitable letters from your medical practitioners and don’t have pre-existing evidence, please read the guidance under 'Long-term health condition' below regarding the use of our Medical Evidence Form.


Specific learning differences, such as dyslexia, dyspraxia, ADHD

You will need to have a report that identifies you have a specific learning difference.

We accept both pre- and post-16 evidence from:

  • An educational psychologist, specialist teacher, occupational therapist or equivalent  
  • EHC (Education, Health and Care) plans or reports from an appropriately qualified medical practitioner

Evidence must include appropriate diagnostic information of the assessment carried out to identify your specific learning difference.

Evidence must be provided in English. If a translation is required, it is your responsibility to arrange this with an accredited professional translation service.

Academic Year 2021/22

JCQ Access Arrangement Form (‘Form 8’)

We understand that there have been delays in securing diagnostic assessments due to the Covid-19 pandemic. If you have been affected by this, we are currently advising that you submit your Form 8 from your school or college.  We will then consider whether limited support and adjustments are appropriate and get in touch to advise on next steps.

We will not accept the following as suitable evidence:

  • A Disabled Students' Allowance needs assessment report
  • A Meares-Irlen Syndrome assessment report

If you think you may have a specific learning difference but have never had a formal assessment, find out more about screenings and formal assessments.

Please email if you require further information.


Long-term health condition, a mental health issue or a disability

You should provide evidence from a suitably qualified medical professional, such as a GP, consultant or specialist nurse, showing that your long-term health condition, mental health issue, or disability has lasted or is likely to last for more than 12 months.  

The evidence must include:
  • The name of the condition
  • When the condition was diagnosed/identified
  • How long the condition has lasted, or is likely to last
  • The main effects of the condition (such as mobility impairment or short term concentration ability)  
  • Any side effects of any medication or treatment

Evidence must be provided in English. If a translation is required, it is your responsibility to arrange this with an accredited professional translation service

  • We will accept the Student Loan Company DSA medical form, signed by a medical practitioner 
  • We will not accept a Disabled Students' Allowances Needs Assessment Report as suitable evidence.
  • If evidence is not readily available, please use our Medical Evidence Form

University of Nottingham Medical Evidence Form - for registered students only

The purpose of this form is to provide evidence of long-term medical conditions or disabilities for students who require Support Plans. It is not intended to be used to provide evidence of specific learning differences, like dyslexia.

We hope this form will be a useful way for existing students to secure evidence, especially if they are finding it hard to get suitable letters from their medical practitioners and don’t have pre-existing evidence.

It is mainly intended to be completed by GPs. However, it could also be completed by other statutory health practitioners, such as specialist nurses or doctors or other professionals (such as registered social workers or clinical psychologists) working in muti-disciplinary teams.

We also hope that funding bodies like Student Finance England will accept the form, if fully completed, for the purposes of providing evidence to apply for Disabled Student’s Allowance. As this is a new form we would welcome feedback on how this is received by funding bodies in practice.

The team at the Cripps Medical Practice, based on University Park (Nottingham) is aware of the form and how it should be used.

Please note the form is not designed to be used as evidence of extenuating circumstances. It is for setting up a long term disability Support Plan.

Also, please be aware that although the form should be sufficient for most student Support Plans, if you have complex requirements we may need to request additional medical evidence.

Download the Medical Evidence Form


Pursuing evidence of a disability, long-term health condition, mental health issue or specific learning difference

If you are unable to obtain a formal diagnosis or the appropriate evidence prior to starting or whilst currently studying at the University of Nottingham, Disability Support Services will consider making accommodations if there is a demonstrably significant impact on day to day life and academic work.  This would require consistent and significant concerns from our specialist academic and welfare colleagues about a student's behaviour and performance. 
We will consider making reasonable adjustments if you provide the following evidence:
  • You are pursuing the evidence required by the University as detailed above 
  • Your day-to-day life and academic work is significantly impacted
  • Our specialist, academic and welfare colleagues have significant and consistent concerns about your behaviour and performance 
Please email if you require further information.

Upload your evidence to NottinghamHub 

Follow these instructions to provide us with your evidence. We will email you after we have reviewed your evidence. 
  1. Go to NottinghamHub
  2. Log in using your University username and password 
  3. Select 'Help Centre'
  4. Select support type ‘Disability and Academic Support’
  5. Select support sub-type ‘Medical Evidence’
  6. In the Summary section type 'Disability Support'. 
  7. In the Details section, tell us what exam arrangements you require or attach 'Your Essential Information Form'.
  8. Select ‘Attach File(s)’
  9. Select your evidence document. Select 'Attach' and 'Choose file' Repeat to attach a completed 'Your Essential Information Form'. 
  10. Select 'Done'
  11. Select 'Submit'

Your documents will now be available for a Disability Adviser or Specialist Study Support Tutor to review.



Student Services

University Park

Please see our need help page for telephone and online contact points