Reasonable adjustments and Support Plans
If you are disabled you may require reasonable adjustments so you can study and learn comfortably to help you achieve your true potential.
A Support Plan details the reasonable adjustments the University will put in place. Typically, this plan will allow you to request coursework extensions, receive your lecture notes before a lecture, access recordings of lectures and have reasonable adjustments during exams. The Support Plan can also be used to make staff in your University department aware of any issues arising from your disability, mental health condition, long-term medical condition or specific learning difference.
Exam adjustments may include:
- additional time
- room adjustments
- use of a computer
- extended deadline requests
- use of equipment such as coloured filters
- adjustments to the format of exam papers
- access to support workers (scribes or readers)
- advisement to markers not to penalise errors in spelling, punctuation, untidy handwriting or clumsiness of English expression
To make reasonable adjustments, we do require supporting evidence. We encourage you to provide appropriate evidence to us before commencing your studies at the University.
After you have provided your evidence:
- If you have already told us about your disability/specific learning difference but have not yet met a member of the Disability Support Team to discuss your Support Plan, please email us to arrange an appointment whilst our drop-in facility is suspended. You can be eligible for reasonable adjustments and we can provide you with the ability to request coursework extensions, receive your lecture notes before your lectures and access recordings of lectures.
- If there are additional adjustments that you may need, such as support with taking notes and making suitable exam arrangements, please book an appointment with us by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you have a Support Plan, but your support needs have changed, please discuss this with a member of the Disability Support Team.
- Before undertaking any formal assessments for specific learning differences please read the information about our free online screening tool.
Once reasonable adjustments are identified, a support plan is created for you. This plan details all the adjustments that we will support you with, and it is held with your student record so we can give you the support you require. As detailed in our Privacy Statement, we maintain confidentiality and we only share the information with staff that need to know for teaching or key administrative processes, such as exams.
You can view your reasonable adjustments at any time by following these steps:
- Go to NottinghamHub
- Log in with your University username and password
- Click on the ‘Support arrangements’ icon
- Click on ‘Accommodations’ (these are your reasonable adjustments)
- Scroll to the bottom of the list and there is a link to 'Download a pdf of your approved support arrangements'