Services for Students

Specialist Study Skills Support for Specific Learning Differences

We have a team of Specialist Study Support Tutors who can help you develop strategies to manage your studies effectively and become an independent learner.  

We are here to help you if you have a disability, mental health difficulty, long-term medical condition, autistic spectrum condition, or a specific learning difference such as dyslexia, dyspraxia, dyscalculia or ADHD.

If you do not have a disability and are looking for general study skills advice please contact the Academic Skills Team or the Academic Language and Communication Skills Team.

DSA Needs Assessors should note we are not a registered provider.

We offer one-to-one support

Our one-to-one support sessions are available throughout the year and can be tailored to suit individual needs. Common areas of focus include:

  • Note-taking strategies
  • Active reading strategies
  • Question analysis
  • Planning and structuring writing for essays, reports, and dissertations
  • How best to revise for exams
  • Exam techniques
  • Time management and organisation

Students with a Support Plan can self-book an appointment via StudentLife.

You can choose an in-person or an online Teams appointment.  In-person appointments are at Cherry Tree Lodge, University Park.

If you need to amend or cancel your booking, you can also do this by logging in to the Student Life portal.

Group Workshops

Learning Well is on Moodle and offers informal study skills workshops for students with specific learning differences (e.g. dyslexia, ADHD, dyspraxia).

Sign-up to Learning Well on Moodle to receive regular invites to workshops.

We also have an ADHD Study Skills Group.  The aim of this group is to improve study skills with peer and specialist tutor support. Students have a space to discuss and learn from personal experiences in a supportive and understanding environment. Tutors will introduce and share materials relating to executive functioning topics to improve understanding of ADHD and its impact on study skills. 

Email to request to be added to ADHD Group for workshop invites

At the University of Nottingham there is also the ADHD Social Support Network (ADHD SSN), set up to provide a safe and comfortable space for individuals who have, or are experiencing the symptoms of, attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD).

On the Moodle site, you will be able to register to attend events, post and chat with other students within the network and also find other useful resources which can help you manage your ADHD whilst studying at the University of Nottingham.

This complements the support and advice that your School may offer, and you should check the support that is available from the Disability Liaison Officer (DLO).

Want to know more about Specific Learning Differences?


Student Services

University Park

Please see our need help page for telephone and online contact points