Study with us

Frequently asked questions

Please select a category or view our glossary of terms.

If you can't find what you are looking for, please contact us.

General queries

What is the ranking of the University of Nottingham?
For information on our rankings, visit UK league tables or international league tables.
What are the term dates and other key University dates?
To view the dates of terms and semesters for the academic year, see our key dates webpages.
What courses do you offer? 
Details about all our courses and every level of study we offer can be found on our courses page.
What are the entry requirements for your courses? 
For entry requirements, see the undergraduate course pages or the postgraduate course pages.
What can I do after I have graduated? 
See our Careers and Employability Service for advice on careers after University.
Can I visit the University?

See our visiting us pages for information on the best way to experience our campuses.

You can also take a virtual tour or watch one of our YouTube videos about the University.
Does the University have accommodation on campus?
Yes, the University has a variety of accommodation – see our accommodation webpages.
What English language qualifications do I need?
IELTS is the most widely accepted qualification at the University for applicants who don't use English as their native language. However, we also accept other qualifications.
Where can I find help for international students?
There are dedicated webpages for international students. We also have country-specific webpages, where you can find information specifically for students from your country.
Will I be able to park my car on campus?

Students who live in halls of residence or have a term-time address within a radius of 15 miles of University Park or Jubilee Campus will not be eligible for a permit. 

All students at Sutton Bonington Campus will be eligible for a permit for parking on that campus only. Concessionary permits are subject to strict criteria, please refer to our traffic regulations.
Does the University have any sports facilities?
Yes – visit the Department of Sport website for details.
What support do you offer for students with a disability or dyslexia?

The University offers support for students who have a disability, dyslexia or a long-term medical condition. For information, visit our accessibility webpage.

The University’s Disability Statement, which lists services, facilities and opportunities available throughout the University, can be viewed on our website.
What help can I get if I have difficulty with the work once I start my course?

The University has an excellent range of support services which cover areas including health, welfare and study support.

For personal problems which may affect your work, you can speak to your personal tutor or any member of staff in complete confidence. If they're unable to help with a particular problem, they'll help you find someone who can.
What is the cost of living like for students living in Nottingham?

Nottingham can be an affordable city to live in compared to other parts of the UK. 

The type of accommodation that you choose and your personal lifestyle will impact on your living costs. You should also budget for food, clothes, books and other lifestyle costs such as sport, leisure and social activities. Our online budget planner can help you manage your money.


Where can I find the most up to date information about undergraduate courses?
For the most up to date information on our courses please visit our online course pages. If you have received a printed prospectus, please view our updates page for changes that have been made since the time of going to print.
How do I apply for an undergraduate course? 
Undergraduate applications must be made online through UCAS. Full details about the application process can be found in our dedicated webpages.
Does the University accept alternative qualifications to A levels for undergraduate degree courses? 
The University accepts a range of alternative qualifications in addition to A levels. If you require further guidance, please contact us.
Where can I find information about bursaries and financial support?
Information about funding for our undergraduate degree courses can be found in our Financial Support webpages. There are also subject-specific bursaries and scholarships which you may be eligible for.
I want to apply to start university in the year before that which is shown in the online prospectus. How do I do that?
You will need to check if places are available on the course you are interested. Please contact the Student Recruitment Support Hub for further information, either through our enquiry form, or by calling +44 (0)115 951 5559.
What if my grades don't meet your entry requirements, or I haven't studied the subjects you ask for?

The entry requirements listed on our course pages indicate the typical requirement for each course. If you have studied a different qualification to A levels or IB, please check our alternative qualifications listings.

Some subjects also have foundation programmes which help bring you up to the required level to join an undergraduate degree programme.


Where can I find the most up to date information about postgraduate courses?
For the most up to date information on our courses, visit our course pages.
How can I apply for a postgraduate course?
Full details can be found in our how to apply section.
When should I apply for a postgraduate course? 

Most postgraduate taught courses start in mid-September and postgraduate research courses start at the beginning of October. Other dates may be available – check course pages for details.

Application deadlines

Although most postgraduate courses do not formally close for applications, places are limited and courses may become full.

International applicants should apply as early as possible. We set a deadline in early August to ensure you have enough time to apply for your student visa.

Applications for teacher training and MA Social Work are made through UCAS so different deadline dates apply.

Where do I send my supporting documents? 
Supporting documents can be uploaded onto our online application system. Please note that if an offer of a place is made, this may be conditional upon receipt of originals or certified copies.
What funding is available to postgraduate students? 
Funding for postgraduate students can come from many sources, including scholarships, research councils and charities. You can find advice and guidance on funding on our postgraduate funding pages.
How long will it take to get a decision on my postgraduate application? 

If you have applied for a taught masters course, we aim to have a decision to you within 6 to 8 weeks provided you have sent all your supporting documents. You will receive an email message once the status of your application has changed if you have applied online.

If you have applied for a research degree, the decision-making process can take several weeks, due to the time it can take to confirm a suitable supervisor.
What grades do I need to gain entry onto a masters programme? 

Applicants should hold a good first degree with at least second-class honours (or international equivalent). 

However, we take all aspects of your application into consideration including academic background, work history and references. Requirements may vary course to course but you can find details in the postgraduate course pages.
What is the difference between taught courses and research courses?  

Taught courses can provide anything from vocational training to preparation for further research. They are generally delivered by lecture, seminar or lab session. They usually last around one year for full-time study and course content is broken down into modules.

Research degrees are generally research-led and involve a large amount of independent reading, lab work and fieldwork. Research degrees tend to be longer in duration as students gain a greater understanding of their chosen area. A common destination for research students is to enter academia.
What accommodation is offered to postgraduate students?
There are a range of self-catered options for postgraduate students at our UK campuses, details can be found on our accommodation pages. You can also choose to live in privately rented accommodation.
When can I start a PhD?

Entry to most PhD courses is available on five dates throughout the year: 1 October, 1 December, 1 February, 1 April and 1 July.

However, we recommend that you check our online course pages for details of specific start dates or contact theschool/department for details.

Are postgraduates generally more employable? What is the average starting salary of a Nottingham postgraduate?
96.6% of postgraduates secured work or further study within six months of graduation. The average starting salary was £26,500. These figures are based on known destinations of full-time home postgraduates who were available for work, 2016/17.

Course FAQs


University of Nottingham

University Park
Nottingham, NG7 2RD

telephone: +44 (0) 115 951 5151
fax: +44 (0) 115 951 3666
email: Contact us