Deng Yaping Sports Scholarship
Combine an international education with performance sports.
We're offering a range of undergraduate and postgraduate scholarships for table tennis or badminton athletes from China.
Dr Deng Yaping won 18 world championships and four Olympic gold medals during her career. She was named Chinese Athlete of the Century and is one of the greatest table tennis players of all time. She also completed a masters degree at the University of Nottingham, graduating in 2003.
The University launched this scholarship in 2013, with Deng Yaping's support, to honour her achievements and to help Chinese athletes achieve their academic and sporting ambitions.
As well as the Deng Yaping Sports Scholarship, we offer a range of sports scholarships for athletes in all sports, including our International Sporting Excellence Award.
In 2020, we're offering the following Deng Yaping Sports Scholarships:
- up to two undergraduate scholarships covering £5,000 towards toward fees per year for the duration of any full-time undergraduate degree programme
- up to two short-term study scholarships covering up to £6,000 towards tuition fees for a study abroad period or a presessional English programme
- up to three postgraduate scholarships covering full tuition fees and a £1,015 monthly living allowance, for the duration of a full-time masters degree (excluding MRes and MBA) or postgraduate research programme
As well as funding, you will also have free access to all University sports facilities, physiotherapy and strength and conditioning support, plus lifestyle management support and video analysis.
To apply for this award, you must:
- be a national level B athlete or better in table tennis or badminton
- be a national of (or permanently domiciled in) the People's Republic of China
- be classed as an overseas student for fee purposes
- hold an offer to start an eligible course (as listed above) in any subject area at the University of Nottingham UK's campuses in September 2020
I am really keen to help young sporting talent with their challenges in life. The opportunity of studying in the UK will help recipients achieve a wealth of knowledge, become more familiar with international rules and understand different cultures.
How to apply
You must apply for and receive an offer to study a full-time academic course before applying for this scholarship. Search for courses and find out how to apply.
When you have received your offer to study with us, you can complete this application form.
Please contact Vera Zhang on firstname.lastname@example.org to express your interest in the scholarship and for guidance on completing the scholarship application form.
These scholarships will be awarded in two batches. Applications for the first round will close at midnight (UK time) on Friday 28 February 2020.
The final deadline for the second round of applications is midnight (UK time) on Friday 22 May 2020.
Applications will be assessed by the University of Nottingham Sports Department. We aim to notify applicants of the scholarship outcome within two weeks of the closing dates. We reserve the right to close the scholarship if we fill the spaces after the first round of applications.
You will be required to represent the University in all university competitions, as well as national sporting competitions and events during your programme of study. You will also be expected to act as an ambassador for the University, support high-profile events and support the development of your relevant sport through coaching and/or mentoring, where appropriate.
This award cannot be combined with another University of Nottingham regional or sports scholarship. See full terms and conditions.