Working in the UK

You may wish to take on part-time work to meet new friends and earn extra money while you are studying in the UK.

However, as an international or EU student there are some important rules and regulations to be aware of.

Working in the UK

Most international students studying for more than six months are given student visas allowing them to work part-time. This means up to 20 hours work a week during term time and full-time work during your vacation periods.

Recognised vacation periods are different depending on the course you are studying. Postgraduate students should check with an immigration adviser before undertaking full-time work.

If you are studying a course below UK degree level, such as foundation or presessional English, you are only allowed to work 10 hours per week. Students holding short-term study visas cannot work in the UK.

If you require a student visa, you will not be able to rely on expected income from part-time work to demonstrate how you will afford to live and study in the UK.

For further information on working, see:

European students

If you have obtained 'settled' or 'pre-settled' status under the UK's EU Settlement Scheme, then you can live, study and work in the UK freely with this immigration status, and you will not require a student visa. The EU Settlement Scheme was available to EU, EEA and Swiss citizens who were living in the UK by the end of 2020. Applications for the scheme closed on 30 June 2021.

From 2021, EU, EEA and Swiss nationals are included in the UK's new immigration system. If you do not have settled or pre-settled status, you will require a student visa during your studies and you would then be eligible for the new graduate immigration route to remain in the UK after your course.

Irish nationals have the right to live and work in the UK, under the UK-Ireland Common Travel Area arrangements. Irish students will not need to apply for a student visa or the graduate immigration route.

Working after your studies

In some cases, students can stay in the UK after completing a degree course and take on paid employment.

The UK is launching a new graduate immigration route in 2021 (also known as the 'post-study work visa'). This will allow international students to work in the UK for up to two years after their degree (three years for PhD students).

Graduate immigration route

Support and advice

Several departments within the University can help you find a job during and after your studies:

Visa and Immigration Team

Cherry Tree Lodge
University Park Campus
Nottingham, NG7 2RD, UK

+44 (0)115 84 66125