Student route

International students walking and talking on Jubilee Campus

Student visas

The Student route is the UK immigration route for international students studying full-time academic courses of longer than six months.

The Student route is part of the UK's new points based immigration system, launched in 2021. It replaces Tier 4 of the previous immigration system. Tier 4 student visas issued before 2021 remain valid until their expiry date.

Will I need a student visa?

Most students from outside the UK beginning a full-time course of six months or longer will require a student visa. They are only available for full-time study, not part-time courses.

For courses or study periods of less than six months, you may require a Standard Visitor visa instead of a student visa.

Students from the EU, EEA and Switzerland are included within the Student route and will require a student visa unless they have settled or pre-settled status under the EU Settlement Scheme or another valid right to reside in the UK.

If you are a UK national, UK citizen or permanent resident, or if you already have permission in a different immigration category which permits study, such as a student dependant visa, you may not need to apply for a student visa.

Students from Hong Kong who have a 'British national (overseas)' nationality may be eligible for the UK's new BNO visa. Find out more on the UK government website.

Please contact the Visa and Immigration Team for further advice if you are unsure about your immigration options.

Applying for your student visa

Use our 10-step visa guides to plan and prepare your student visa application.

The Trent Building and Highfields Lake at University Park Campus
Applying from overseas
Portland Terrace at University Park Campus
Extending your student visas

Find out more about the requirements for your application and make sure you prepare the correct evidence. 

International students walking on a covered footpath on campus
Your CAS
Students talking in a cafe on campus
Funding requirements
Students in lab coats working in a chemistry laboratory
ATAS clearance

About your visa

Find out more about your student visa and the restrictions, conditions and responsibilities that come with it.

Car park overlooking the Trent Building at University Park Campus
Your BRP
View from the lake at Jubilee Campus
Visa duration
International students in Nottingham city centre
Your responsibilities


Visa and Immigration Team

Book an appointment to meet with
an immigration adviser via video call

t: +44 (0)115 84 66125