Manuscripts and Special Collections
   
   
  

Timeline of University College, Nottingham

Timeline of events in the history of the University College, Nottingham  

 

 

 1877

Foundation of University College, Nottingham following an anonymous donation of £10,000.

1877 Work begins on the new college buildings in Shakespeare Street
1881 Opening of University College. Students are admitted at age 14 upwards
1884 Award of first B.A. to a University College student, Henry Savile, as an external candidate of the University of London
1887 A Board of Professors is created. This board is responsible for managing the educational work of the College.
1887 Post of Principal is created. The first Principal is Frank Clowes.
1890 Reverend John Elliotson Symes becomes the second principal of University College
1890 University College is established as a day training college for the training of teachers
1890 Engineering and technical classes begin at the College
1893 Opening of new buildings in Shakespeare Street, behind the original College
1895 Opening of the Midland Dairy Institute at Kingston-on-Soar. The Institute is affiliated to the University College
1902 The Education Act 1902, known as Balfour's Act, gives Local Education Authorities the power to establish new secondary and technical schools and develop the existing elementary school system
1903 The University College is incorporated. The Board of Professors is abolished and replaced with a Senate
1904 University College council is established. This is the new governing body of the College replacing the original committee
1904 Court of Governors is created.
1906 The affiliation between the Midland Dairy and Agricultural Institute and the University College ends and the institute becomed a college in its own right-the Midland Dairy and Agricultural College
1911 William Haslam Heaton is elected as the third principal of the College.
1911 Establishment of a new four year teacher training course. Students in the Elementary Training Department can now choose either the original two year course, or the new four year course
1911 Admission age raised to 16
1920 Sir Jesse Boot makes the first of his donations to the College, giving £30, 000 to the building fund for the new campus and £20, 000 to endow a chair of chemistry
1922 Sir Jesse Boot donates land for the new college campus
1928 University Park campus opened by King George V and Queen Mary
1928 Launch of endowment appeal aimed at raising £250 000 to support the University College's bid to become a full university
1929 Principal Heaton retires and is replaced by Hugh Stewart
1929 Launch of the Government Scheme for the Higher Education of Ex-Service Students. Grants are paid to ex-servicemen to undertake training or educational courses. 586 recipients of these grants come to University College
1934 Two year teacher training course begins to be phased out. It is abolished completely in 1937
1935 Appointment of Harry Almond Savile Wortley as principal
1939 The Institute of Education and Goldsmiths' College of the University of London are evacuated to University College, Nottingham 
1947 Robert Peers is appointed Acting Principal of the College
1948 University College, Nottingham is granted its royal charter and becomes The University of Nottingham

Next page: Introduction to University of Nottingham collection

Manuscripts and Special Collections

Kings Meadow Campus
Lenton Lane
Nottingham, NG7 2NR

telephone: +44 (0) 115 951 4565
fax: +44 (0) 115 846 8651
email: mss-library@nottingham.ac.uk