Connect to a world of expertise
Career Mentoring offers you the opportunity to be supported with your career goals by a member of our alumni community.
Our career mentors are drawn from different sectors and professions, are at varying stages of their careers and have all volunteered their time to provide one-to-one support and advice.
The mentoring relationship will develop through regular telephone and online contact for a four-month period, giving you time to benefit from your mentor's professional experience and knowledge.
Career mentoring has been approved as a new module for the Nottingham Advantage Award. Log in
and view the module catalogue for the full specification.
Why take part?
A career mentor can help you:
- gain insight into the sector you wish to enter
- develop interpersonal and networking skills
- reflect on your experience and knowledge
- feel inspired and confident to take your next steps.
Read what two students have said about Career Mentoring
Who is it for?
All registered students and 2020 graduates.
When will the mentoring take place?
Spring scheme: March - June
Make the most of mentoring
What is mentoring?
- A voluntary partnership between a more experienced individual (mentor) and a less experienced one (mentee)
- A relationship based on a set of mutually agreed guidelines of behaviour
- A tool to support your personal development
- A learning process for both mentor and mentee
How can I get the most out of mentoring?
- Take responsibility for your own learning and personal development
- Accept constructive feedback
- Be open and honest about yourself
- Maintain boundaries and confidentiality
- Have realistic expectations that are shared and agreed with the mentor
- Commit time and energy to the mentoring relationship
Will there be training?
Yes, if you are matched with a mentor we provide you with online training and resources to help you approach mentoring with confidence. The training will take approximately one hour to complete.
The mentee: Nerissa Culi
Hear how mentoring helped fourth-year neuroscience student Nerissa feel inspired about her future career
The mentor: Amy Prosser
Hear why Amy, senior scientist at Sygnature Discovery, chose to mentor Nottingham students
More from our previous mentors and mentees
I’ve had so many breaks, helpful colleagues and brilliant mentors myself during my career so it felt right that I might do the same. The experience with my mentees has been highly positive; they've taught me just as much as I've taught them. Watching people grow is one of life’s greatest gifts.
It was so useful to hear about Emily’s career and how she achieved it - it broadened my knowledge of the sports sector and what jobs are out there. Emily helped me to identify what my goals were and how to work towards them.
Being a mentor for Izzy was a very positive experience. I believe that through Career Mentoring I was able to offer support and advice, which will help set Izzy on her way towards a successful career in the sports industry.