Connect to a world of expertise
Career Mentoring offers you the opportunity to be supported with your career goals by a member of our alumni community.
Our career mentors are drawn from different sectors and professions, are at varying stages of their careers and have all volunteered their time to provide one-to-one support and advice.
The mentoring relationship will develop through regular telephone and online contact for a four-month period, giving you time to benefit from your mentor's professional experience and knowledge.
Career mentoring has been approved as a new module for the Nottingham Advantage Award. Log in
and view the module catalogue for the full specification.
Why take part?
Thank you for the opportunity! I found it incredibly insightful and useful for planning my future career. Simran Bains - Finance, Accounting and Management
A career mentor can help you:
- gain insight into the sector you wish to enter
- develop interpersonal and networking skills
- reflect on your experience and knowledge
- feel inspired and confident to take your next steps.
Read our blog: Career Mentoring: Figuring Out My Strengths and Exploring Careers
Who is it for?
- All students registered on an undergraduate or postgraduate course
- 2021 graduates
When will the mentoring take place?
Autumn scheme: December - March
Make the most of mentoring
What is mentoring?
- A voluntary partnership between a more experienced individual (mentor) and a less experienced one (mentee)
- A relationship based on a set of mutually agreed guidelines of behaviour
- A tool to support your personal development
- A learning process for both mentor and mentee
How can I get the most out of mentoring?
- Take responsibility for your own learning and personal development
- Accept constructive feedback
- Be open and honest about yourself
- Maintain boundaries and confidentiality
- Have realistic expectations that are shared and agreed with the mentor
- Commit time and energy to the mentoring relationship
Will there be training?
Yes, if you are matched with a mentor we provide you with online training and resources to help you approach mentoring with confidence. The training will take approximately one hour to complete.
Mila Apostolova - My experience as a mentee
Hear how mentoring helped international media and communications student Mila, feel inspired about her future career
Keith Bound - Why I mentor
Hear from mentor Keith Bound, a narrative design and audience engagement consultant, as he tells us what types of things his discusses with his mentees.
More from our previous mentors and mentees
Developing people is a core driver for me and one that gives me immense satisfaction; the mentoring complements my coaching practice and is something I look forward to.
Before I started the scheme, I had a range of previous work experience but I was not sure of what career I wanted to do. Prachi helped tease out the skills I’d gained from my work experience and how to use those skills to find out what career I would like to pursue.