Domestic violence and unhealthy relationships


The Home Office defines Domestic violence as 'Any incident or pattern or incidents of controlling, coercive or threatening behaviour, violence or abuse between those aged 16 years and over who are or have been intimate partners or family members regardless of gender or sexuality'. This can encompass but is not limited to the following types of abuse:

  • psychological
  • physical
  • sexual 
  • financial
  • emotional
Domestic violence can affect people across society regardless of age, gender, race, sexuality, wealth and geography.


Are you or do you know someone in a relationship like this? Do you feel you don't know where to go for help? Don't worry, there is help available. 

Here is the NHS guidance on where you can get help and support for domestic abuse

Support in an emergency: if you are at risk from harm

On campus: If you live on campus and are at immediate risk of harm you should contact Security on 0115 951 8888. They will take any action necessary including contacting the police.

Off campus: Contact the police by ringing 999 

You can call the UK non emergency number 101, you need support or advice from the police and it is not an emergency.


University support

If you are feeling unsafe in the place where you are residing, as well as getting help from local and national services, please also consider contacting the University, as we will be able to offer you additional advice and support.  

You may feel unsafe from family members or a partner or ex-partner or it may be a friendship which has become difficult. Relationships with friends can also become unhealthy and abusive, and whilst this may not be identified as domestic abuse, can impact negatively on students’ well-being and safety. This can particularly be the case when students are sharing accommodation. If you are worried that a housemate or close friend is causing you harm, please contact the University for advice and support. 

It can be hard to understand if the problems you are experiencing are abuse and this can be a barrier to seeking help. If you are concerned that you have experienced harassment or abuse and are not sure what to do, please speak to one of our services so that we can help you better understand what is happening and discuss  the support options available with you. 

 University services that are here to help: 

  • If you have been subject to - or have witnessed Domestic Violence, please consider letting us know by making a report via our Report + Support tool. Report + Support allows you to report an incident or incidents anonymously. Alternatively you can request to speak to an advisor. Speaking to an advisor does not necessarily mean that you are making a formal report to the university - it enables you to access advice and support for yourself or someone else. You will be signposted to information on internal and external support, policies, guidance and campaigns. You may then decide that you want to progress with a formal report, and we will support you in this.

  • University Security service continues to provide a 24 hour presence on all campuses. They are a point of contact and support for students who are feeling at risk wherever  that student is living. You can contact Security Control at any time, however if it is urgent, please use the emergency number

  • The Support and Wellbeing Officers can provide guidance, help and advice if you're experiencing difficulties and help identify other services that you may need to contact

  • If you are living off campus and need support with issues such as self-isolation or other community concerns you may benefit from support from the Off Campus Affairs Team

  • The University Counselling Service offers free, confidential support to students registered at The University of Nottingham.  You can self-refer for counselling on line but if you need more urgent advice about your situation, you may need to contact the duty counsellor who is available during the working week and can be contacted by e mailing the service

  • Chaplain and Faith support. Whatever you background or faith, University chaplains offer spiritual and pastoral support

Students' Union support

  • Students' Union Advice can help students with information, advice and representation around all aspects of student welfare and education
  • Nightline is a student ran service providing confidential listening and information

Local and National support

Local support

Support in Nottingham/Nottinghamshire

GP/family doctor


Women's Aid

Notts SVSS

Topaz centre

Juno Women's Aid

Incest and Sexual Abuse Survivors

Broxtowe Women's project

Support in Derby/Derbyshire

Safer Derbyshire

Derby Women's Centre


Support in Leicester/Leicestershire

For a list of support avalible, please go here

National support

The freephone 24-hour National Domestic Abuse Helpline 0808 2000 247

Refuge - support for men

For a comprehensive list of available support go to NHS webpage and Equation.


Other forms of abuse or harassment 

The information below provides comprehensive advice to help you identify, seek help and report abuse you may be experiencing.   

Lets be clear on consent is a University initiative that provides students with information about sexual violence. It includes information on sexual assault services available in Nottingham and how to report any incident of sexual violence to the University. 

Harassment reporting: If you have been subject to harassment, abuse or assault, please report this through our Report + Support tool. You can do this anonymously or request to speak to an advisor. 


The University of Nottingham

University Park
Nottingham, NG7 2RD

telephone: +44 (0) 115 951 5151
fax: +44 (0) 115 951 3666