Alcohol display


We want you to know the facts, so that you can drink safely and make informed decisions about the way you live your life and care for your health.

If you have experienced a non-occupational needle stick injury (pricked by a needle and injected with an unknown substance)

  •  If the incident  was within 72 hours please go to A&E.
  • If more than 72hours please make an appointment with your GP.

 We also encourage anyone who reports that they have experienced or witnessed these incidents to report it to the police immediately.


Know your limits

The risk of developing a range of illnesses, including cancer, increases with any amount you drink on a regular basis.

To reduce the risk of harming your health, men and women are advised not to regularly drink more than 14 units a week. Spread your drinking over three days or more if you drink as much as 14 units a week.

Find out how many units you are consuming here.

Tips for cutting down on alcohol

If you regularly drink more than 14 units a week, try these simple tips to help you cut down:

  • Make a plan, take it one day at a time.
  • Before you start drinking, set a limit on how much you're going to drink.
  • Only take a fixed amount of money to spend on alcohol.
  • Inform your family and friends that you are trying to cut down so they can support you.
  • Cut back a little each day.
  • Drink smaller measures of alcohol, for example a small glass of wine instead of a large one.
  • Have a lower-strength drink.
  • Drink a pint of water before you start drinking, and don't use alcohol to quench your thirst, have a soft drink instead.
  • Don't drink everyday, it's a good idea to give your liver a rest.

For further information visit the Drinkaware website.



Blurred vision in night club
‘Drink spiking’ can include the addition of drugs or even extra alcohol to drinks.

Information on what to do if you have been spiked by injection

What you can do:

  • Don't leave your drinks unattended.
  • If you think one of your drinks doesn't taste right, don’t drink it.
  • Be wary of accepting drinks from people you don't know. Do not drink something you did not open, or see opened or poured.
  • If you feel dizzy or ill, ask someone you trust to take you to a safe place.
  • Stay with your group.
  • Look after your mates, if someone collapses and is unconscious call an ambulance. Don’t leave them alone.
  • Report drink spiking or suspected drink spiking to venue staff or the police.
  • If you are concerned that you have been a victim of sexual assault, there is information and advice on how to access support on our Let's be Clear on Consent page.
  • Information on how to  how to keep your drink safe and the symptoms to look out for if you think you might have been spiked.

Drink spiking is a serious crime. Read this quick guide so you know what to do if you think you or someone else has been spiked.


Pre-drinking and binge drinking

Pre-lashing, pre-drinking and pre-loading, are terms used to describe drinking a lot of alcohol in a short space of time. Don't assume you will save money by doing this as many studies suggest that people who pre-drink are around 75% more likely to continue to drink heavily on a night out. Drinking large amounts of alcohol in a short space of time can lead to an increase in accidents, anti-social, agressive and violent behaviour.

Are you a binge drinker? Do you regularly drink more than the low risk alcohol unit guidelines in a single session? Do you tend to drink quickly? Do you sometimes drink to get drunk? Try Drinkaware's self-assessment tool to find out if you're drinking too much.

If you're finding it hard to give up you may need help and support.

 Spilt wine

Advice and support

Nottingham city

Nottingham Recovery Network (NRN) deal with referrals to adult drug and alcohol services.

NRN deliver a complete and confidential access, advice, support, treatment and recovery service in the heart of Nottingham. You can simply ring or drop in for advice and an assessment of your needs.

Drop into:

NEMS Platform One Practice, 79a Upper Parliament Street, Nottingham, NG1 6LD (weekdays from 9.30am - 5.30pm). Or visit 73 Hounds Gate, Nottingham, NG1 6BB (weekdays from 9.30am - 5.30pm). 

Phone: 0800 066 5362.

The Place provides a range of support services primarily for young people up to the age of 25 around drugs and alcohol. They work to reduce harm and promote positive change.

The service is for young people who live in Nottingham and Nottinghamshire.

You can make a referral here.

Nottinghamshire County

Change Grow Live deliver integrated drug and alcohol services in Nottinghamshire.

Derby Drug and Alcohol Services 

For information, advice and support for those affected by drugs and alcohol, visit the Derby Drug and Alcohol Services.

Alcoholics Anonymous - 0115 941 7100

Leicestershire & Nottinghamshire 



The University of Nottingham

University Park
Nottingham, NG7 2RD

telephone: +44 (0) 115 951 5151
fax: +44 (0) 115 951 3666