Most of our BEng and MEng courses include the chance to work for a year in industry. Summer work placements can also be arranged.
Building skills ready for industry
As part of your degree, you will develop the skills to enhance your career prospects. During your time studying with us, there is the opportunity to undertake a year in industry, summer placement or internship.
Our Careers and Employability Service can work with you to improve your employability skills even further; assisting with job or course applications, searching for appropriate work experience placements and hosting events to bring you closer to a wide range of prospective employers.
Benefits of an industrial placement
An industrial placement year is your chance to:
- put your academic studies into practice
- develop your skills in an industry setting – crucial for your career development
- earn money
- get a real insight into the industry you’re interested in working in
- improve your employment prospects – many students secure a graduate job as a result of their placement
Courses that include a year in industry are available in the following subjects:
Support with your placement
Our faculty has a dedicated Placements Team who support students in finding the right placement. We offer:
- support, advice and guidance on how to secure your ideal placement role
- employer hosted events, CV and application workshops, and online resources
- visits and support from Placements Team or academic staff whilst you are on placement to help you make the most of your experience, and support you in your transition back to university life
Do I have to apply for the year in industry version of the course or can I transfer onto this at a later date?
We recommend that you choose the course that’s right for you when applying, but you can switch on or off the year in industry at a later date.
Will I be paid for my year in industry?
In the vast majority of cases you will be treated as an employee and receive a salary.
Does the university guarantee I will get a placement?
Whilst we can’t guarantee you will get a placement, the vast majority of students who engage with the support on offer and aren’t too constrained by geographical local preferences go on to secure placement roles.
Can you choose where in the country to do your placement?
Yes you can. Look for the exciting opportunities across different parts of the UK. Be aware that if you constrain your geographical preferences, it might limit your choices.
Can I do my year in industry overseas?
Yes. Overseas placements can be a fantastic opportunity to add cultural experiences to your placement and to your graduate opportunities. You need to carefully check the T&Cs and salary/living expenses.
Do you still pay any tuition fee to the university for that year in industry and if so, how much?
There is a reduced tuition fee for this aspect of the course, details of which can be found via the Exceptional Fees page
How late/when can I transfer to the Year in Industry valiant?
Any time. It's easy to swap and the Placements Team will help you with this. If you move from BEng to MEng you will need to meet the criteria to get academic approval. The later you choose to transfer, the higher the chances of missing out on those choice placements!
What happens if I don't secure a placement?
You will simply transfer back to the standard degree course and complete your final year. You will have gained loads of application experience to prepare you for your graduate position.
What happens if I receive more than one offer?
The University policy is that once you have formally accepted an offer you will withdraw or reject all other of interviews or offers. The Placements Team will offer guidance.
Why should I extend my degree to a year in industry?
There are many reasons to apply for one of our year in industry courses:
- Brings forward your first employment year
- It increases your graduate choices of employment
- Provides an understanding how to apply for positions and an understanding of the significance of coursework
- Develops a confident and curious insight into your discipline that enables engagement with academia
Please be aware that study abroad, compulsory year abroad, optional placements/internships and integrated year in industry opportunities may change at any time for a number of reasons, including curriculum developments, changes to arrangements with partner universities or placement/industry hosts, travel restrictions or other circumstances outside of the university's control. Every effort will be made to update this information as quickly as possible should a change occur.