Estates and Facilities

Deaf Alerter Service

What is it?

Deaf Alerter is primarily a radio based paging system which can provide Fire Alarm warnings for University staff, students and visitors who have a hearing impairment. Buildings equipped with Deaf Alerter Paging Transmitters will have the Deaf Alerter symbol (to the right) displayed at the main entrance.

Pagers and Night Cradles are available on loan from Security Control, Trent Building, University Park, NG7 2RD, which is a 24 hour manned control room. The Night Cradles are bedside units in which a pager can be placed and will wake up a sleeping person when a fire alarm is activated; they are suitable for use in Halls of Residence equipped with Paging Transmitters.

How do I get a Pager?

Deaf Alerter equipment is generally available at any time. Equipment issue forms are available opposite and should be completed by the person that requires the use of the Deaf Alerter Pager (and if required, a Night Cradle). The form then needs to be counter signed by the Head of School / Central Service (or representative) to endorse the request. The form(s) should then be taken to Security Control, Trent Building, University Park, Nottingham, NG7 2RD where the equipment will be issued, along with the relevant User Guides.

Returning a Pager for maintenance

A planned preventative maintenance programme has been arranged twice a year with Deaf Alerter to check the necessary radio coverage required and to prevent unnecessary overspill transmissions into surrounding areas. The Pager and Night Cradle equipment are also checked at the same time, hence all this equipment is called back to Security at certain maintenance dates.

For consistency, the maintenance dates are based around the University's last day of the summer term and the last day of the autumn term, which can be readily found on the University Web Pages:

For day or short term visitors Security will specify a return date.

Although the equipment is generally available at any time, Deaf Alerter equipment is a limited resource and demand for it may vary. For people that require continual use of the equipment, replacement equipment will be issued upon returning their current units for maintenance, this applies to staff, students and visitors that will be staying on or working at the University throughout the summer vacation. Equipment returned at the end of the summer term will generally be kept for conference use etc. New students will be able to obtain equipment at the start of the autumn term.

Where will the Pager work?

University buildings that are currently equipped with transmitters are...

University Park:

  • Trent Building
  • Portland Building
  • Law & Social Science Building
  • Hallward Library
  • Physics Building
  • George Green Library
  • UoN BioDiscovery Institute(CBS 1&2 and 4)
  • Innovative Technology Research Centre (MIEP)
  • Environmental Education Centre
  • Cavendish Hall
  • Lenton & Wortley Hall
  • Lincoln Hall (Lincoln Hall House 4, Blocks G,H,I,J,K,L)
  • Rutland Hall (Rutland Hall Extension - K Block)
  • Lenton Hurst

Nottingham Medical School:

  • Nottingham Medical School

Jubilee Campus:

  • Business School North
  • The Exchange Building
  • Dearing Building
  • Sir Harry & Lady Djanogly LRC
  • Atrium Area
  • Business School South
  • Melton Hall
  • Southwell Hall
  • Newark Hall
  • Ingenuity Centre (TEC)
  • Advanced Manufacturing Building

Sutton Bonington:

  • Main Building   
  • The Barn (Amenities Bldg)
  • School of Veterinary Medicine and Science (Academic)
  • School of Veterinary Medicine and Science (Clinical) 
  • Bio-Energy & Brewing Science Building
  • For Sutton Bonington Halls - contact CLV Bonington Hall + 44 (0)115 896 9810

Broadgate Park

  • For Broadgate Park Halls - contact UPP Broadgate Park + 44 (0115) 951 8670




Estates and Facilities

The University of Nottingham
University Park
Nottingham, NG7 2RD