Although it is difficult to discuss death, it is important to make arrangements for your family and loved ones for after you have gone. Depending on the pension scheme, there may be benefits payable to them. Therefore: 

  • Nominate who you would like the scheme trustees to consider to receive the lump sum via an Expression of Wish/Nomination Form
  • If you are not married or in a civil partnership, it may be possible to nominate a person who is financially dependent on you for a pension that would otherwise be paid to a spouse
  • Ensure your loved ones know the location of your important documents (including letting them know which pension scheme(s) you are a member of)
  • Make a Will to ensure your wishes are clear. 

Pension wishes