Cripps Health Centre on our University Park campus


Healthcare and immigration

The NHS (National Health-Service) in the UK provides healthcare services to all UK residents. If you are moving to the UK from overseas, you may need to pay a health surcharge (called the immigration health surcharge or 'IHS') as part of your immigration application.  Please see the Government web site for further details.

Click here for more details on the financial support for visas and the immigration health surcharge.


To access the National Health Service you first have to register with a doctor, often referred to as a GP (General Practitioner). Doctors in the UK have catchment areas, meaning you can only register at a practice near where you live.


The NHS doctors at the University of Nottingham Health Service (Cripps Health Centre on University Park) have a very large catchment area so you may find this the easiest practice to register with. You may register with the University of Nottingham Health Service (UNHS) if you are:

  • a member of staff on a contract of at least six months and you live within our catchment area
  • spouses, children or dependents of staff (as above)

If you are outside of the catchment area for the UNHS, please click here for more doctors’ practices.


Dental practices are not subject to a particular catchment area. Simply find a dental practice that is convenient for you, whether near your home or work and phone them to see if any appointments are available. Not all dental practices will have the capacity to take on new NHS patients. If this is the case, you may either choose to be seen privately, join a waiting list of find a dentist that is able to take on new NHS patients.

How to find a dentist near you – click here

For more information about Dentists in the UK – click here

Private Healthcare

As a University employee, you will have access to register for discounted AXA private medical insurance at certain times of the year. For information around this access the Employee Hub once you have started your employement.