Overview and legislation
Includes: Disability Discrimination Act 1995; Equality Act 2010, The Public Sector Bodies Accessibility Regulations 2018
This page contains guidance for all schools in order to meet the needs of disabled students, as set out within the Equality Act 2010 and guidance on the accessibility of learning materials that are used on face to face delivery and placed onto university webpages.
This legislation applies equally to international and EU students as well as to UK students, and to those who are taking part of a course only.
For more information about this legislation, please consult the following:
Equality Act 2010
The Public Sector Bodies Accessibility Regulations 2018
Disability Liaison Officer (DLO)
Includes: expectations; support and School mechanisms
Each school is expected to have a Disability Liaison Officer (DLO). The DLO will be the point of reference, advice and guidance for members of staff and students in the school for disability issues and support. The DLO should be a member of relevant school committees, such as Learning and Teaching Committee and Staff Development Committee.
Schools should have mechanisms (such as a Disability Action Plan, DAP) to:
- Ensure school staff have a general level of awareness of the Equality Act 2010 and responsibilities within the school
- Respond to disabled students and alert Disability Support Services if reasonable adjustments and funding are required
- Receive information by way of the MyNottingham Support Plan to enable the Head of School (or a delegate) to implement a plan following the recommendations of the Support Plan, and finally monitor and review the situation at regular intervals
- Ensure school learning, teaching and assessment policies are inclusive of disabled students
- Publicise support available both within the school and by way of central services, such as Disability Support Services
- Ensure all material produced by the school can easily be transcribed into alternative formats on request
- Ensure school facilities and equipment meet the Equality Act 2010 requirements
For more information about disability support arrangements, please consult the following:
Disability Support Services
If you have any problems or queries relating to this page, please contact: