How to apply for loans

Canada Student Loans are offered by the Government of Canada to help students pay for post-secondary education at a designated college, university, or other post-secondary institution. Loans are offered to eligible full-time and part-time post-secondary students in most provinces and territories. 

The master list of designated educational institutions is updated regularly and lists all the educational institutions where students are eligible to receive Canada Student Loans.  Students should contact their provincial or territorial student financial aid authority with queries regarding an institution's recognition.  Each campus is recognised/approved individually. 


For detailed information concerning eligibility and lifetime borrowing limits please refer to Canada Student Loans Eligibility. You can also contact your provincial or territorial student financial aid authority for further advice.

Applicants must:

  • be a Canadian citizen, a permanent resident of Canada or designated as a protected person
  • be a permanent resident of a province or territory that issues Canada Student Loans (Note: The Northwest Territories, Nunavut and Quebec operate their own student loan programs. Contact your provincial or territorial student financial assistance office for more information)
  • demonstrate financial need
  • be enrolled in at least 60% of a full course load (40% for students with permanent disabilities) if you are a full-time student
  • be enrolled in 20-59% of a full course load if you are a part-time student (if you are a student with permanent disabilities and you are studying between 40-59% of a full course load, you can choose to be considered a student in full or part-time studies)
  • be enrolled in a degree, diploma or certificate program offered by a designated post-secondary school that runs for at least 12 weeks within a 15-week period
  • pass a credit check if you are 22 or older and are applying for your first Canada Student Loan
  • not have exhausted your maximum lifetime limit for financial assistance (including interest-free status).


Applications are available online or can be obtained from your province or territory's student financial assistance office. Please see Canada Student Loans - Apply for further guidance.   

Receipt of Funding

Loan funds are not paid directly to the University. Once you have received your loan funds, you should make payment to the University for your fees. Tuition fees can be paid in instalments. Please see Student Fees and Finance for more information. 

Please see Canada Student Loans - After you have applied to find out how loans are disbursed.

International Student Recruitment

C Floor, YANG Fujia Building
Jubilee Campus, Wollaton Road
Nottingham, NG8 1BB, UK

+44 (0) 115 951 5247
Contact us by email