Veterans Affairs

The US Department of Veterans Affairs offers education and training benefits to eligible veterans through various GI Bill programmes.  The University of Nottingham is approved to process Veterans Affairs Benefits for students studying at our UK campuses.  Eligibility for benefits is determined by the US Department of Veterans Affairs.

Programme eligibility

Please email to let us know if you are applying for benefits so that we can ensure your chosen programme and period of study is approved by the Department of Veterans Affairs. The Department of Veterans Affairs cannot award benefits for distance learning programmes.

If your programme has not yet been approved, the University can seek approval, subject to your holding an offer of admission to study at the University of Nottingham.  The approval process can take a number of weeks so we would advise you to contact us as soon as possible. 

The Department of Veterans Affairs has already approved the following programmes:

  • American Studies - MA
  • Archaeology and Classical Civilization - BA Jt Hons
  • Behavioural Economics - MSc
  • Business Administration - BA
  • Business Administration - MBA
  • Criminology and Sociology - BA Jt Hons
  • Diplomacy - MA
  • Economic Development and Policy Analysis - MSc
  • Electrical and Electronic Engineering - BEng
  • Electronic and Computer Engineering - BEng
  • English Literature - MA
  • Geospatial Intelligence - MSc
  • Global Citizenship, Identities and Human International Relations - MA
  • International Relations - MA
  • International Security and Terrorism - MA
  • Laws - LLM
  • Manufacturing Engineering Management - MSc
  • Microbiology and Immunology - MSc
  • Public Procurement Law and Policy
  • Public Procurement Law - PhD

Applying for benefits

Please see US Department of Veterans Affairs Education and Training - Get Started for further information regarding benefits available.  Applications for benefits can be made online.

Certification of enrolment

Providing your programme has received approval by the Department of Veterans Affairs and you have registered on your programme, the University is required to certify your enrolment before your benefits will be released.  In order for us to complete this process you will need to provide us with your Social Security Number (SSN).  Certifications of enrolment submitted during busy periods, such as at the beginning of a semester, may take up to 6 weeks to be processed by the Department of Veterans Affairs.

Enrolment will be certified for one academic year at a time.  Continuing students wishing to claim benefits must contact us each year to request further certifications of enrolment to be submitted. Please email

Receipt of funds

Tuition fee payments will be made directly to the University after enrolment has been certified. Any funding for living costs will be paid monthly to you by the Department of Veterans Affairs.

If you are receiving benefits under MGIB-AD (Chapter 30) or MGIB-SR (Chapter 1606), you must also verify your enrolment at the end of each month in order to receive payment for that month. Benefits are paid after each month of study is completed. If you are receiving Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits you do not need to verify your attendance.

You should contact the Department of Veterans Affairs directly to enquire about the status of your benefits.  Please see their FAQ for further guidance.

International Student Recruitment

C Floor, YANG Fujia Building
Jubilee Campus, Wollaton Road
Nottingham, NG8 1BB, UK

+44 (0) 115 951 5247
Contact us by email