Manuscripts and Special Collections
   
   
  

Rural Deaneries in the Archdeaconry of Nottingham up to 1842

Until spring 1842 there were four deaneries in the Archdeaconry of Nottingham:

  • Bingham
  • Newark
  • Nottingham
  • Retford

A fifth deanery of Southwell was created in 1842.  The Archdeaconry was enlarged by taking in parishes from the Peculiar of Southwell, the Peculiar of the Dean and Chapter of York, and other Nottinghamshire parishes not previously part of the Archdeaconry. The deaneries of the Archdeaconry were re-ordered accordingly, and the new deanery took in the parishes of the former Peculiar and some neighbouring places.

Presentment bills were sent to the Archdeaconry court by the churchwardens of parishes and most chapelries. Occasionally, the parishes sent presentment bills on behalf of themselves and their chapelries. These chapelries are noted in brackets. Researchers are advised to consult documents from both the parish and the chapelries of any place in which they are interested. 

Bingham deanery

Adbolton Hickling Stanford-upon-Soar
Barton in Fabis Holme Pierrepont Stanton-on-the-Wolds
Bingham Keyworth Sutton Bonington (St Anne)
Bunny with Bradmore Kingston-on-Soar Sutton Bonington (St Michael)
Car Colston Kneeton Thoroton
Clifton with Glapton Langar with Barnstone Thrumpton
Colston Basset Normanton-upon-Soar Tithby with Cropwell Butler
Cotgrave Orston (with chapelries of Scarrington and Thoroton) Tollerton
Costock Owthorpe Upper Broughton (Broughton Sulney)
East Bridgford Plumtree West Bridgford
East Leake Radcliffe-on-Trent West Leake
Edwalton Ratcliffe-upon-Soar Whatton
Elton Rempstone Widmerpool
Flintham Ruddington Wilford
Gotham Scarrington Willoughby-on-the-Wolds
Granby with Sutton Screveton Wysall
Hawksworth Shelford  

Newark deanery

Averham Hawton Rolleston
Balderton Hockerton Shelton (including some presentments from chapelry of Flawborough)
Barnby in the Willows Kelham Sibthorpe
Coddington Kilvington South Collingham
Cotham Kneesall with Kersall and Ompton South Scarle (with Besthorpe chapelry)
Cromwell Langford (from 1685) Staunton
Eakring Laxton Sutton-on-Trent
East Stoke (with chapelries of Coddington, Syerston and Elston Chapel) Maplebeck Syerston
Elston Marnham Thorpe
Elston Chapel Newark Thorney
Farndon Normanton-on-Trent Weston
Flawborough North Clifton Winkburn
Fledborough North Collingham Winthorpe
Girton    

Nottingham deanery

Annesley Gonalston Nuthall
Arnold Greasley Papplewick
Attenborough Hoveringham Radford
Basford Hucknall Torkard Selston
Beeston Kirkby-in-Ashfield Skegby
Bilborough Lambley Sneinton
Bramcote Lenton Stapleford
Bulwell Linby Strelley
Burton Joyce with Bulcote Lowdham with Gunthorpe Sutton-in-Ashfield
Colwick Mansfield Teversal
Cossall Mansfield Woodhouse Thurgarton
Eastwood Nottingham (St Mary) Trowell (with some presentments from chapelry of Cossall)
Epperstone Nottingham (St Nicholas ) Wollaton
Gedling with Carlton and Stoke Bardolph Nottingham (St Peter )  

Retford deanery

Austerfield Everton Saundby
Babworth Finningley Scrooby
Bawtry Gamston South Leverton (with chapelry of Cottam)
Bilsthorpe Gringley-on-the-Hill Sturton-le-Steeple
Blyth (with chapelries of Austerfield and Bawtry) Grove Sutton-cum-Lound
Boughton Harworth Treswell
Bothamsall Hayton with Tiln Tuxford
Carburton Headon with Upton Walesby
Carlton in Lindrick Kirton Warsop
Clarborough Littleborough Walkeringham
Clayworth Mattersey Wellow
Cottam Misson West Burton
East Markham North Wheatley West Drayton
East Retford Norton Cuckney West Markham (Markham Clinton)
Edwinstowe (with chapelries of Carburton, Ollerton and Perlethorpe) Ollerton West Retford
Egmanton Ordsall Worksop
Elkesley Perlethorpe  

 

Next page: Rural Deaneries in the Archdeaconry of Nottingham, 1842-1913

 

Manuscripts and Special Collections

Kings Meadow Campus
Lenton Lane
Nottingham, NG7 2NR

telephone: +44 (0) 115 951 4565
fax: +44 (0) 115 846 8651
email: mss-library@nottingham.ac.uk