Manuscripts and Special Collections
   
   
  

Biography of Peter Thomas Clifton (1911-1996)

Peter was the only surviving son of Percy Robert Clifton, formerly Bruce, and his second wife Evelyn. He was educated at Eton and R.M.C. Sandhurst.

During the Second World War he served with the Grenadier Guards, attaining the rank of Lieutenant-Colonel. He received the Distinguished Service Award in 1945 for his work with the regiment in Italy.

He succeeded his father as owner of the Clifton estates in Nottinghamshire in 1944.

In 1947 Lt.-Col. Clifton sold 944 acres in Clifton to Nottingham City Council for a housing estate. In 1953 an auction of the contents of Clifton Hall took place, and he moved to Home Farm in Clifton. In 1958 he sold the remainder of his estate in Clifton and Barton in Fabis and moved to Dummer in Hampshire. He was a churchwarden at Dummer for many years.

Family

He married in 1934 Ursula Sybil, daughter of Sir Edward Hussey Packe, K.B.E., of Prestwold Hall, Leicestershire.

He married 2ndly in 1948 Patricia Cobbold, and had two daughters.

 

 

Manuscripts and Special Collections

Kings Meadow Campus
Lenton Lane
Nottingham, NG7 2NR

telephone: +44 (0) 115 951 4565
fax: +44 (0) 115 846 8651
email: mss-library@nottingham.ac.uk