Manuscripts and Special Collections
   
   
  

Biography of Sir Gervase Clifton, 6th Baronet (1744-1815)

Gervase was the only son of Sir Robert Clifton, 5th Baronet, and his second wife Judith. He succeeded his father in 1762. He served as High Sheriff of Nottinghamshire from 1767-1768 and was a Justice of the Peace for the county for many years.

In 1765 Sir Gervase sold Hodsock Priory in north Nottinghamshire to the Mellish family, thereby concentrating his estates in the Clifton area of south Nottinghamshire. Sir Gervase was responsible for the remodelling of Clifton Hall by John Carr of York between 1779 and 1797.

Family

He married in 1766 Frances Egerton Lloyd (d 1779), daughter of Richard Lloyd of Aberbrachen, Denbighshire, and Trelydan, Montgomeryshire, and had:

  • Robert, later 7th Baronet
  • Juckes Granville, later 8th Baronet
  • General Sir Arthur Benjamin (1771-1869), of Barton, Nottinghamshire, G.C.B., K.C.H., K.S.A., K.S.W., Colonel 1st Dragoons, fought at Waterloo
  • Frances (d 1846), m 1797 the Venerable Robert Markham (d 1837), Rector of Bolton Percy and Archdeacon of York, and had:
    • Robert Markham (d 1832), Captain in the 58th Regiment, unmarried
    • Rev. Henry Spencer Markham (1805-1844), Rector of Clifton, and Prebendary of York, m 1831 Sophia Charlotte, daughter of Sir John Lister Kaye, Baronet, and had:
    • Frances Egerton Markham (d 1837), unmarried
    • Georgina Markham (d 1873), m 1824 George, 10th Earl of Haddington, and had issue.

Archive Collections

  • Title deeds, settlements, estate and legal papers relating to Sir Gervase Clifton's ownership of his estates are part of the Clifton collection held in Manuscripts and Special Collections at the University of Nottingham
  • Two notebooks recording Sir Gervase Clifton's work as a Justice of the Peace in Nottinghamshire between 1772 and 1812 are held at the Nottinghamshire Archives (Reference: M 8050-8051)

 

 

Manuscripts and Special Collections

Kings Meadow Campus
Lenton Lane
Nottingham, NG7 2NR

telephone: +44 (0) 115 951 4565
fax: +44 (0) 115 846 8651
email: mss-library@nottingham.ac.uk