Manuscripts and Special Collections
   
   
  

Nottingham Park - A Timeline

DateEvent
1087 The first Nottingham Castle is begun. Over the next centuries it becomes the principal royal residence in the Midlands
1623 Nottingham Castle and Park granted to the Earl of Rutland by James I
1642 The Royal Standard is raised at Nottingham Castle, marking the beginning of the Civil War
1651 Demolition of Nottingham Castle by Parliamentary Order
1663 The ruins of Nottingham Castle and its adjoining park purchased by William Cavendish, 1st Duke of Newcastle upon Tyne
1674 The 1st Duke begins construction of the Ducal Palace
1679 Construction of current Nottingham Castle completed
1717 Park's herd of deer sold off
1780 2nd Duke of Newcastle under Lyne gives an acre of land in the Park for the building of Nottingham General Hospital
1792 Castle Fishpond filled in with soil from the foundations of the Cavalry Barracks. 'Fishpond Gardens' later let as plots for cultivation
1792-3 Cavalry Barracks built in the north-west of the Park
1798 Riding School built for the Nottingham Troop of Yeomanry Cavalry
1799 Duchess of Newcastle under Lyne begins to consider sale of Nottingham Castle and Park
1807 Sale of 32 lots on Standard Hill for residential development
1822 4th Duke of Newcastle under Lyne employs John Jephson to begin development of the edge of the Park. Work never begun
1827 P F Robinson publishes his 'Plan of Nottingham Park' showing intended lines of development set out in a grid pattern
1827-30 Houses erected on Park Terrace
1831 Reform Bill rioting followed by burning of Nottingham Castle
1838-9 First houses in the Park proper begin to appear
1854 T C Hine appointed surveyor of the Newcastle Estates with particular responsibility for the Park
1855 Park Tunnel opens
1860s Hine's famous 'dumbell' layout of Park established
1878 Midland Counties Art Museum opens in Nottingham Castle
1870s-1890s Around 30 houses erected to Watson Fothergill designs
1926 Demolition of Riding School
1939 8th Duke of Newcastle under Lyne sells Park to University of Oxford, marking the end of an association which had lasted almost 300 years
1969 Nottingham Park designated a Conservation Area

 

More: The Duke's Castle

Nottingham Park: From Ducal Estate to Urban Residence home 

Manuscripts and Special Collections

Kings Meadow Campus
Lenton Lane
Nottingham, NG7 2NR

telephone: +44 (0) 115 951 4565
fax: +44 (0) 115 846 8651
email: mss-library@nottingham.ac.uk