You can choose to do a year-long industry placement when you start your degree programme.
Placements are your opportunity to put your learning into practice.
- Apply for placements across the UK as well as abroad
- Improve your employment prospects and stand out from the crowd
- Get help from the School Placement Team to search, apply for and secure a placement
- Available to all students with the exception of MNutr Nutrition and Dietetics, who have practice placements as part of the course.
Matt's placement at Dartmoor Zoo
Agricultural industry placement
- improve your employment prospects
- some students even secure a graduate job as a direct result of their placement year
- see the practical results of your learning and get a real insight into the industry
- learn how to communicate with people from a range of backgrounds, work to tight deadlines and manage multiple projects
- make contacts and meet professionals
- understand more about which area you might want to work in when you graduate
Previous placements include:
- Agricultural Sciences - AB Agri, KWS Seeds, McDonald's, BASF and Velcourt
- Animal Science - The Waltham Centre for Pet Nutrition, Chester Zoo, The Game and Wildlife Conservation Trust
- Biotechnology and Microbiology - GlaxoSmithKline, Pfizer and Medimmune
- Environmental Sciences - ADAS, Delta-Simons, Mott Macdonald and Gatwick Airport
- Food Sciences - Mars, Unilever, Molson Coors, Dairy Crest, McCain
- Plant Science - National Botanic Garden of Wales, John Innes Centre, Kew Gardens
What to expect
The year in industry takes place between years two and three of your degree, adding an additional year to your degree course.
Pre-placement: You will be guided through the process by the School Placement Team, who will help you secure a suitable placement, and offer support throughout the year.
On placement: You become an employee of your chosen organisation, whilst remaining a fully registered student. You pay a reduced tuition fee to the University, are eligible to apply for student finance and in most cases receive a salary.
Post placement: We will support you to integrate back into your course including co-ordinating module choices and projects as appropriate for your programme.
Once you have secured a placement, the name of your degree programme will change to include the statement ‘with industrial year’, for example BSc Agriculture with industrial year.
To find out more, ask a question or join our current students’ mailing list, contact the School Placement Team.
Dr Judith Wayte, Rachel Jessop and Rachael Westwood
Room A03 and A5b, Main Building
University of Nottingham
Sutton Bonington Campus